Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:46 PM   #1

Hi all,

After some serious searching around the usual places on the 'net I've come to the conclusion that one of these camerasis for me. I have checked out the A540 too, but it's images look a tad soft. And A6XX models have a pretty good build, ideal ergonomics for me, and the swivel lcd which I quite like.

I am hoping there is someone out there who has more insight into both the A610 and A620 - some real world use - and who can share with me which of the two may be the better in terms of image quality. I've read the noise levels at ISO 400 might be better on the A610. This would be very appealing ifit is true. I don't really care about the remote capacity of the A620. So I guess it comes down to resolution. But I know you don't need lots of megapixels to make great pics. I used to have an S410 that took amazing pics, granted you could only enlarge them so far. But at most I would only ever enlarge to 8X10 inches.

So basically, with the drop in prices I can buy the A620 for about $45 more than the A610, but I wonder if it's worth it? Is the noise difference between the A610 and A620 significant? Is either any sharper?

Any informed opinions on this would be vastly appreciated.

Cheers.

lachlan l.

twmangrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:12 PM   #2

Well, for starters, only the A620 has the swivel LCD, so if that's important to you, the A610 is out of the picture.

Powershots in general have somewhat soft, smooth images - it's become something on a Canon trademark. Unsharp mask works very well in this case.

Being that the A620 and A610 are now essentially identical in price (where are you finding a $45 price difference?) I would find it hard to recommend the A610, even if it has a marginally lower noise level at ISO 400.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:27 PM   #3

Hi again,

The A610 actually does have the swivel LCD. And the price difference is one of theperks ofbuying such electronicsin Canada:sad:

Thanks for the prompt reply though, and welcome to all others.

lachlan

Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:53 PM   #4

Oops, you're right - I looked at the wrong picture of the A610 :roll:

Is there an electronics store conveniently located near you that you could visit and try the cameras back-to-back? If you don't plan on doing a whole lotta cropping of your pics, 5mp should be quite sufficient.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:28 PM   #5

I think the key that caught my eye was the fact that you will rarely print images at 8X10 or larger. I'm with you and honestly speaking most people do not print larger than 8X10 either and if they do so it is rare. So, with that in mind I would save a few bucks and opt for the a610 with the 5mp CCD in lieu of the 7mp CCD of the a620.

The megapixel mania really has harmed more images than improved. More megapixels cramed onto the same size sensor can indeed lead to increased noise that so many are complaining about. Until there is a sensor breakthough and they can genuinely put larger sensors in smaller cameras, I think you'll find 5 or 6 mp to be just fine for most people. The hype of "more megapixels must be better" that all the manufacturers have been playing is shameful and people knowledgable about the sensor CCD size / megapixel demand ratio are starting to see the game.

Grab an A610 while you can because they are going fast!

Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:42 AM   #6

I actually printed a 10x10 photo of a flower and some other photos, and the best focused photos of the bunch still have all their detail. I have the a610 and it does provide a ton of detail even without the extra 2 mp. HOWEVER, in retrospect, I do think I should have splurged the extra 50 bucks at the beginning since it's not the kind of thing you can upgrade later on. I'm not sure that I could ever prove that I needed the 7mp camera, I think it is more of a psychological thing. I guess it would have been fun to be able to click the shutter through the USB cable, but other than that, I don't think I'm missing out on anything. But the camera in general is like my baby, I love it.
Zaphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:39 PM   #7

Again, thanks for the replies.*I truly appreciate the comments about the megapixal number issues and the psychological drive to invest in what is perceived to be the best. Again, looking back at the pics I kept from my S410, its four megapix. sensor produced very sharp, very clean images. Can't blow them up too much, but I never had the need. Too bad it was so slow and inefficient power-wise by today's standards. And the fact that I sold it.*Since I first posted this I have taken a couple of similar images from both A6XX cameras posted by our much appreciated host here on Steve's, and compared them for myself. I do believe the A620 does capture a smidgen more detail. The question of cropping hadn't actually been on my mind, but thanks to your* kind replies I realized that I do indeed crop* my photos if and when I am unhappy with the framing. This realization has actually pushed me more in the direction of the A620. It's a matter of flexibility.*Not to dis the A610. Again, they both seem to be excellent photographic tools, and despite the lesser ISOs, superior to Canon's latest A-series offerings.*So yeah, I guess my mind is made up. Thank you all very much though, and if I can ever share any details about the Nikon D70s (my work baby) I'd be delighted to share. But that's another forum.*Cheers.Lachlan L.