Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1

OK.. My 5 yr old had his preschool grad and bday this weekend.. Memory card full. Changed batteries in the middle of the second party.. Went to upload this evening and discovered EVERYTHING prior to the battery change .. GONE!!!!! wtf?? This is a new one, as I've changed batteries before and not had this prob.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:09 AM   #2

I haven't had any problems like that. I guess that this might happen if you don't power down before changing the card or batteries.

Can you try some software for recovering files - the kind of software that finds deleted files on a floppy or hard drive.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:19 AM   #3

ANy ideas would help.. I'm not familar of any software that deals with memory cards.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:32 AM   #4

If you Google "image recovery software" or "file recovery software" you will probably get a whole bunch of hits. I accidentally deleted a bunch of files from a SD card and managed to recover them with a program called "PC Inspector Smart Recovery." (If's free.) My SD card was in my reader, which showed up as drive F; if your camera is seen as a removable drive, it would work too. Set the program to look for .jpg images (or whatever your camera shoots) on the drive letter of your camera, and let it run. It may take a while to finish, depending on how many images you have had on the card-- it will recover any images that have been on the card as long as they haven't been overwritten, so you may get some "moldy oldies" back too.

The only bad thing is that the recovered files all have CONVARxxx as their names, where xxx is a number--the first file recovered is CONVAR001, and so on.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

OHHHHHHH ... I have to thankyou sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo very much!!!!! I got my son's birthday photos back!!!!!!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I'm a Mom.. I was in tears about this last night.. I have them back now..

I'm now going to back it all up triplicate on disc.. lol

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:40 AM   #6

You're more than welcome! I'm glad you got 'em back. It's a sinking feeling when you go to look at the pictures and they're somehow not there.

In my case, the card was from my PDA, and I was trying to copy several folders of pictures to my PC but clicked "Delete" accidentally. While doing that with folders on the C drive of the PC would put the deleted folders/files in the Recycle Bin, where I could get them back with a few clicks, deleting files or folders from the card just makes them vanish. When I got them back with PC Inspector, they weren't in folders anymore (I recreated the folders easily enough) and the names were all changed to CONVARxxx, so I had a ton of renaming to do.

On an only slightly related note:

I took about 200 pictures during a play at one of the schools where my wife teaches. When we got home, I stuck my card in my card reader and did all the usual stuff to copy the folder to my PC, and all indications were that the transfer was going fine. But when I opened the folder in IrfanView to look at the pictures, only the first 100 or so pictures would display--the rest generated an error message. I also tried opening the pictures directly from the card (also using IrfanView), and had the same problem. I told my wife I thought those pictures were gone. Arrrrgh!

For the heck of it, I put the card back in the camera and was able to see all of the pictures, so I connected the camera directly to the PC (which I've only ever done on my brother's computer, and then only once) and used the camera as a card reader to transfer the pictures. Got them all that time; every picture displayed fine.

Turns out my old (3 years) card reader couldn't handle a 512MB SD card. I got a new reader and all has been well since.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote