Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Been lurking around here a while in search of a new camera still stuck between the S3 and H5. There are things i like with both Camera's but i seem to see lots of posts with negative stuff on the S3 despite reviews alwaysgiving it top marks.

I guess im looking for a balance with some positive views regarding the S3.And some untouched pics, as i never can tell wether lots of pp has taken place.So please fire away with you opinions.

Thanks
CragRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:24 PM   #2

I'm very happy with my S3. It's a little noisy in Auto, as it tends to push the ISO up. If you mostly do just one thing such as portraits, macro, landscape or action shots then you can probably find a better camera for your application. If you want a single camera to use in all kinds of different situations then the S3 is the way to go. You can go from a real tight macro shot to super zoom to capturing a fast action shot in a matter of seconds and they will all come out pretty well. Also, you can jump in and out of movie mode instantly. I have several cameras and the S3 is my favorite. The live histogram is a shot saver.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:07 PM   #3

I'm a pure newbie to the whole "advanced" (beyond point-n-shoot) camera world. My first experience with the S3/Auto grainy imaging was a bit discouraging, but has forced me to learn more about ISO, shutter, lighting, and what goes in to making a better picture.

But with practice, my shots (and my wife's shots, I bought the camera for her) are getting better. I think it'll be great once we get used to setting it up. It's certainly not a point and shoot / auto mode camera. But we're sticking with it.

I really like the video feature. Not having to buy a new video camera alone (ours is 7 years old) makes it worth it to me. I have (2) 4GB memory cards that work in the S3. Carry one in my pocket as a USB drive (with an SD-USB adapter), and the other stays in the camera. (2) 4GB cards is an hour's worth of video and a bunch of stills.
AndrewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:51 PM   #4

Thanks for this post - I just bought an S3 after looking at lots of reviews - and happy user posts on the merchant sites - naturally now that I am committed I start seeing criticisms - sigh - I have just begun to play with it and am not a real experienced camera person - I love the long zoom and the speed of shooting compared to my old camera - the movie mode is real good. The macro looks promising but I have not figured out how to get the super macro going - works sometimes and sometimes not - I think it will take me a while to learn the ins and outs of the camera - I know that I would not give up the flexibility even if it is not the absolute best at any one thing.

It is confusing and frustrating to me that Steve and dpreview and other sites give the S3 top marks in their reviews but apparently some sophisticated users are very disappointed. What's that about?

I figure that in 3 years or so when I am ready to buy again there will be a camera with all the flex and a dslr sensor for about the same price - at least so I hope.

bill.guenthner wrote:
Quote:
I'm very happy with my S3. It's a little noisy in Auto, as it tends to push the ISO up. If you mostly do just one thing such as portraits, macro, landscape or action shots then you can probably find a better camera for your application. If you want a single camera to use in all kinds of different situations then the S3 is the way to go. You can go from a real tight macro shot to super zoom to capturing a fast action shot in a matter of seconds and they will all come out pretty well. Also, you can jump in and out of movie mode instantly. I have several cameras and the S3 is my favorite. The live histogram is a shot saver.
jhall251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:48 PM   #5

I've had my S3 for almost a month now and am very happy with it... it replaced my Olympus C-3040Z. Performanceand picture qualityare great and battery life is awesome! I've taken over 200 pictures most using the flash andhave nothad to charge my 2500mAhbatteries as yet.

Avoid using "Auto" and instead use "P" orone of the other settings. I initially used Auto for a few days and got good results but swithced to using P (ISO 100)and have not been disappointed with my pictures.
dr88keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:58 PM   #6

@jhqall251
I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as criticisms. As I said, I am very satisfied with my S3. All cameras have pros and cons and you just need to make sure that you fully research a particular model before buying to be sure that you can live with the limitaions of the particular model you are buying. In my opinion the S3 is the most "bang-for-the-buck" under $500.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7

I returned my Canon S3IS ... and instead got the Sony H5.

The Sony H5 to me is a much better camera in terms of picture quality (look at side by side pics at dcresource.com).

If picture quality is not important to you and you need the swivel LCD and longer battery life..than go with the Canon S3IS because truly thats all it has going for it.

DJ_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:49 AM   #8

I looked at some of the dcresource.com samples at full size, and they looked pretty similar, even at 100% (E.g. church with the "Escondido Mall" street sign). I didn't print any though. The H5 seemed to have a bit more CA/Purple-fringing (I get these mixed up) in one, but I don't think it would be visible in a print. I think the most visible differences (including more CA) may be due to slightly different times of day, different choices made by the reviewer, etc.

DJ_Mo wrote:
Quote:
I returned my Canon S3IS ... and instead got the Sony H5.

The Sony H5 to me is a much better camera in terms of picture quality (look at side by side pics at dcresource.com).

If picture quality is not important to you and you need the swivel LCD and longer battery life..than go with the Canon S3IS because truly thats all it has going for it.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:27 AM   #9

Thanks, i will be using the camera mainly for outdoor stuff,snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking,climbing, landscapesand mountain viewswhich is why i have been drawn on the S3 with the video quality being good, aswell as the relatively small size of the Unit compared with others.The most important aspect to me is the pic quality.I will not be taking shots of flowers and ducks in the local park, as good as those pics are, i prefer my photo's to bereminders of places i have been and things i have done and seen.I just feel my point and shoot short zoom camera is a bit limited.Hope that helps if any one else usesthere's for similar purposes.

Cheers .

CragRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:32 AM   #10

IMHO the S3 IS is the most amazing camera (for the money) I have ever owned and I've had an FZ20, Rebel 300D, 20D, Rebel XT (still have it) andKM 7D.

If you are like me, you always wonder, after reading reviews on other cameras if they might be better so I did a little comparison using this site as well as DCResource. I like the fact that both sites have picsof the same scene taken from the same spot.

On this site I used the pics of the playground equipment and on DCSR site the pic of the church with "Escondito" street sign in front.

Forcomparisons I downloaded pics (full size) taken with the Sony H5, Panny FZ7, Panny FZ20, Fuji s9000, Fuji S5100, Sony R1, Nikon 8800, Canon Pro 1, Olympus SP500UZ, Olympus SP770UZ, Kodak P850, Rebel XT, Canon 30D, Canon 5D, and even (for curiosity) the Canon 1DSMK2.

Then using PaintShop ProX, I opened the S3 shot and then clicked on the "fit to screen" (which shows the S3 image on my monitor at approx. 50%). I then, one at a time, did the same for each of the other pics in order to do a side by side comparison with the S3. I then adjusted the size of the larger image to get them both approx equal in size.

I don't like to view images at 100%because it is unrealistic to view images at that size (it's like looking at a billboard from distace of about 15 feet). I have an inexpensive 19" LCD monitor in case you want to know what I viewed the images with.

You also have to keep in mind that time of day (angle of the sunlight, etc.) affects perceived sharpness, contrastand color. I like PSP Pro X because I can look at the EXIF data and determine which lens was used with the DSLR cameras. That, along with my personal experience, is how I arrived at my conclusion about the S3.

I am seriously considering selling my Rebel XT, along with all the lenses (17-85IS, 75-300IS, 70-200 f/4L)because I'm now 65 yrs. old and don't have the desire to lug a bunch of heavy equipment around and like someone said " I am not a photographer, I am just someone who likes to take pictures".

I also have to add that the Sony H5 is a clearcut competitor to the S3.

John

jdrandall is offline   Reply With Quote