Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:23 PM   #11

D50

Attached Images

jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:31 PM   #12

http://www.pbase.com/jascm/start

more images here i am out of touch with posting on this site.

jasm
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:52 PM   #13

I was quite disspointed with mine at first, now I'm not sure yet, have to use it some more. I previously had an Olympus C-5050 with a "Super Bright" lens ( F 1.8 ) After I got the A620 I found so many of my pictures to be blurry. I guess a lot of the problem is in the A "Auto" mode, which seems just about worthless to me unless you're either outside in DIRECT bright light, or willing to use the flash. I prefer not to use flash whenever possible as I don't like the look of flash photos most of the time.

Have you folks had much luck finding good settings to take indor pictures w/o flash and not too much noise?

Is not being able to save in RAW mode a real detriment to post process noise removal?

I'm thinking that if we can make/find a Firmware hack to enable RAW mode that this camera might live up to it's reviews. Will have to use it more before I decide.

I feel like even the least blurry shots are just not as sharp as they could be when you zoom in 100% 1 pixel per pixel view, maybe the lens is just not as sharp as some better cameras? I'd like to be able to take macro shots where every pixel is sharp instead of soft.
critofur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:22 PM   #14

Well apart from anything else your c5050 had a very superior fast lens.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:41 PM   #15

I've taken my share of blurry pics with the A620, but most of the time the fault was mine - slight hand movement, incorrect settings, etc.

Some reviews of the A620 - including Steve's - makes note of the somewhat "soft" or "smooth" quality of the photos. I guess this is good to preclude artefacts from over-sharpening, like my fiance's Sony Cybershot sometimes does.

If you like I can email you a full-sized, virtually uncompressed indoor photo from mine - if you don't think it's sharp, then indeed the camera does not live up to your expectation. If you think it is a sharp pic, then either you need to learn its in and outs or you have gotten a bad unit.

The pic below was ISO100 F2.8

BTW, jasm - really nice pics!

critofur wrote:
Quote:
I was quite disspointed with mine at first, now I'm not sure yet, have to use it some more. I previously had an Olympus C-5050 with a "Super Bright" lens ( F 1.8 ) After I got the A620 I found so many of my pictures to be blurry. I guess a lot of the problem is in the A "Auto" mode, which seems just about worthless to me unless you're either outside in DIRECT bright light, or willing to use the flash. I prefer not to use flash whenever possible as I don't like the look of flash photos most of the time.

Have you folks had much luck finding good settings to take indor pictures w/o flash and not too much noise?

Is not being able to save in RAW mode a real detriment to post process noise removal?

I'm thinking that if we can make/find a Firmware hack to enable RAW mode that this camera might live up to it's reviews. Will have to use it more before I decide.

I feel like even the least blurry shots are just not as sharp as they could be when you zoom in 100% 1 pixel per pixel view, maybe the lens is just not as sharp as some better cameras? I'd like to be able to take macro shots where every pixel is sharp instead of soft.
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:56 PM   #16

I too have the canon A620 and also the canon 350D and the A620 does match it in picture quality,, but only when the 350D has the kit lens on,, but when i put the EF 50 1.8 on then NO WAY,, will also be getting the EF-S 17-85 soon, but i am very happy with the A620.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:54 AM   #17

would you please look at last 4 images taken today 2-a620 2-d50 i really wonder in my old age do i justify having d50?

jasm
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:21 PM   #18

jasm wrote:
Quote:

would you please look at last 4 images taken today 2-a620 2-d50 i really wonder in my old age do i justify having d50?

jasm
Well like i said the A620 is a fine digicam that takes exellent pictures, but i think you can't compare a digicam to any dslr camera. I'm sure someone with more experience will compare those 4 pictures but from what i saw i think the D50 was a little better, but in low light the D50 will be alot better.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:34 PM   #19

Very nice pictures of Glasgow Jasm - nice to see some places on these forums that I recognise! Probably going to get an A620 myself!

Slowman
slowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:10 PM   #20

I did some comparson shots between my DSLR and my A620 a short while ago and within the limitations of the A620 (35-140mm, up to 100 iso) and I was surprised that there was little to choose between them. Obviously as the iso increases, A620 noise does so as well and you can fit lenses outside the 35-140mm range etc.

I have just come back from holiday where I took the DSLR and am not impressed with the results, despite taking a lot of care while shooting, so it's days are probably numbered. The A620 will suffice until my dream camera arrives..... It seems to me that ultimately a DSLR will be the most flexible, deliver the best results etc but much of the time (for me) it is no better than a top end compact and is a bottomless money drain. Time to stop throwing money away, I think.

Comparison shots
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote