Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1

Just a little survey to see how may people have an A620 and see if everyone is satisfied with it.

I got one and am delighted with it.

Wowsers :-)
Wowsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:02 PM   #2

I like it very much, but I am new to photography so don't have much experience with cameras. I think it's capable of taking some fantastic photos that print really well. I can't wait until I get better at photography so I can take advantage of everything the A620 has to offer.
crsantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:15 AM   #3

I like it so much I sold my DSLR (E-300) and have not regreted it one bit. the A620 is nice and small, fast, and the swivel screen is great. It is a %100 improvement over the unpredictable exposure from that Olympus evolt.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4

I purchased a Canon A620 about 2 months ago. About 3 weeks ago, I bought another one from the same online retailer, as his prices had dropped about $30. Since May, 2003, I had been using an Olympus D560 zoom, which I still own and like very much as a basic point and shoot. But, since receiving the A620, I've come to appreciate it for the breadth of control that it gives me over my pictures, and the images are absolutely stunning when I do my part. As a matter of fact, I can see where this might actually become a disadvantage for a novice user...they might easily get themselves into a situation that is not right for the picture(s) that they wish to take, and lose some shots that might've been OK if they'd just left the camera on Program or Auto.

I have a little trouble with macro shots not being overpowered by flash, so I usually turn flash off and go to manual focus when I have enough light. I recently took a photo of my wife's ring, in which she had mounted a pearl that my daughter had sent her. I sent the photo to my daughter, and she replied, "Holy cow! Your camera takes some fantastic pictures! I can even see the dust on the pearl!" I had to go back and look, and she was right. The A620 is a lot of camera for the money.
larryf1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:32 PM   #5

I get exactly the same feelings also. I think this camera (A620) will become a clasic in the years to come. I have owned this camera for 7 months now and i'm still discovering new possibilities with it. For macro shots, i am using a Metz slave flash (28CS-2) that i ordered only 2 weeks ago and let me tell you that now, there are so many possibilities opened for me with this flash that i can now experiment many new angles when doing macro shots.

I am just delighted with this camera.

Wowsers

Wowsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:49 PM   #6

Wowsers, thanks for the tip on the Metz slave flash; I will look into that possibility as an aid to my macro shooting. Have a great holiday!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7

Big thumbs up for the A620...
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:16 PM   #8

I'm really curious just how much better the image quality is from a DSLR. I've never played with one. If my A620 takes some really nice photos, would a DSLR like a Nikon D50, Canon Rebel Xt, or a Pentax ISt DL really take photos that would be tremendously superior? Or is it more of a thing that the features of a DSLR-likeISO - are simply better? Any thoughts?
crsantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:21 AM   #9

I've never played with a DSLR, either, so I can't make any real judgments in that regard. But, I'd think that the image quality would be very close between a camera such as an A620 and a DSLR such as you mention. As you also mentioned, I think that the real difference comes in the features and their manner of use, as well as the size of the camera. I'm used to film SLR's, and I still prefer their size simply for ease of handling and their stabilizing weight. But, I doubt that I'll ever use my Niikon SLR as much as I used to, the digitals like the A620 are just too convenient tograb and go, the image quality is great, and the instant gratification of seeing an image is too good to pass up.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:17 PM   #10

Cant figure how to post two images will do 2posts taken on same day diff. locations.
jasm A620
Attached Images

jasm is offline   Reply With Quote