Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:07 PM   #1
gak

After using my neighbor's Canon A620 for a couple of days, I have noticed a couple of flaws I have seen no mention of in any reviews. The first shows up mainly when doing macro flower shots. Sparkling dew, light flecks of pollen and some other highlights come out as if someone poked a hole in the photograph showing nothing but white with a thin, dark outline. It just looks like a hole in the paper showing through to a bright white light. I have done hundreds of these shots with my Canon A80, and it doesn't do this at all, it's very smooth, and I'm sure I'm not overexposing with the A620. Highlights on insects seem to have the same problem, and Ive also noticed it occasionally on dew sparkled grass. Also, if it's zoomed much at all, the lens has a lot of ruby red flare, Showing up on things like highlights on chrome. Has anyone else seen these things?
gak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:28 PM   #2

I recently purchased 2 A620's, and although I have not used them extensively, I have not noticed the problem that you describe in either one. I work with professional video equipment, andyour description sounds as if your neighbor's A620 might have some dead pixels in the sensor. Dead pixels on a CCD sensor will usually manifest themselves as a dot of bright white light. Depending upon the video levels in the frame, they may or may not be visible, and they don't move around. I'm puzzled as to why the problem that you're describing apparently appears on "highlights", so you may be seeing something else. At any rate, I took a couple of quick macro shots of some mums with a 620 while painting my house yesterday, and here's one of them. It sounds as if a repair or replacement of your neighbor's camera might be in the offing.

larryf1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:55 AM   #3

My A 620 does also NOT have this issue.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4
gak

When I say macro, I mean within a couple of inches. Can't locate any of the really bad pix at the moment, but here's one I have found. It's a flower petal, 100% crop, unprocessed, camera picture settings at default. I know some may say that that's just burned out highlights, but a pic from my A80 just would not do that at all. A lot of white holes but without the dark outline I was describing. And his camera did have problems, but it was already repaired under warranty by Canon and should be performing up to specs. I will try to do some comparison shots between the two cameras soon. [img][/img]
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:27 PM   #5

Make sure it isn't set to "Vivid" in the effects menu.

A criticism I have of many Canon cameras is they don't have 5 levels each for contrast, saturation and sharpening. If you turn those down you can help avoid what appears to me to be blown highlights.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:49 PM   #6
gak

slipe wrote:
[quote]Make sure it isn't set to "Vivid" in the effects menu.

A criticism I have of many Canon cameras is they don't have 5 levels each for contrast, saturation and sharpening.* If you turn those down you can help avoid what appears to me to be blown highlights.

Let me assure everyone here, that camera settings are the first place I looked to try and explain this. And you're right, it does look like burnt highlights, But those same highlights would not be burned by the A80. Since the A620 has the newer digic II processor, I just wonder if it has a little quirk somewhere that causes it to clip in certain situations?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:36 PM   #7

Those definitely are not dead pixels. I'd have to agree with the other comments here, it looks to me like it's just light reflection highlights off droplets of water. I've never taken photos that close, so I can't say that I've had occasion to try to duplicate this particular phenomenon. It sounds like you've done a good job at investigating the setting issues and haven't come up with a cure, so it may well be that there's something inherent in the camera's processing that causes this to occur. You've got me curious now, especially with your comment that the A80 did not exhibit this "problem", so I'm going to have to play with my 620's to see what shows up. Keep us posted if you come up with any new info!
larryf1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:47 PM   #8
gak

As soon as I get the A620 over here again, I'll do some same scene comparison shots. This is really driving me crazy, because I'd really like to buy the camera. I'm really into macro, and That seems to be the only thing this camera can't do for me. It is superior to my A80 in every way except the appearance of the macro shots, and the minor issue of red flare. I think it's in-camera processing that could benefit from a software or firmware change, since the A80 just isn't like that.