Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:55 PM   #1

I am going to the airshow tomorrow. What setting should I use with my S3 is in order to get the shots and minimize noise?
Sp33dFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:40 AM   #2

minimize noise, use as low an ISO as you can

which ISO level to use and what settings will vary based on mainly what the sky/sun will look like wherever you are for this airshow...

Big bright sun and a blue sky will require different settings than a partially or fully cloudy sky would...
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:30 AM   #3

thanks for the tip! It will definitely be a big, bright sun and blue sky. Planes will be coming in low and fast, as well as streaking upward. Can you suggest a starting ISO? I'm brand new to SLR-type nomenclature. I really was hoping to mostly use automatic settings, like the sport setting, but when I tried that sport setting (supposed to be good for action shots), they were really grainy. The free noiseware someone suggested was very helpful, but I'd really rather not have to go through the additional time-absorbing steps. I've had the camera 2 weeks now and am still wondering if I should trade for a Sony DSC-H5. I read bad things on the reviews about them too, as well as the Panasonic Fz27. Seems as though you have to get into manual settings to use any of the 12x zoom cameras.

I have been getting some stunning shots though too. . . . Just have to really play around with it. I upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix 5700, 5MP, 8x zoom. That camera took the best quality pics I've seen . . definitely up to par from my Pentax Point and Shoot film camera. Didn't have enough zoom for me though, as I really like scenery.

Dana
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:58 PM   #4

Use ISO 80 or 100. Set theS3 to the shutter priority mode (Tv)... you'll probably need a shutter speed somewhere in the vicinity of 1/500 sec (or faster) depending on how fast the planes are flying. Of course, if you're up for the adventure, you should try the manual mode so you can also get good depth of field control.
dr88keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:44 PM   #5

dr88keyz and SMP_Homer, thanks so much for your help. I ended up mostly using ISO 100 on P mode. I don't know how to use TV and AV modes (how to change the settings) and wouldn't know what to set anyway . . .I'm a beginner. I also discovered the scene mode fireworks setting is worthless Do you guys know what the difference is between Night Scene on the dial, and "Scene - night snapshot" is?
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:53 AM   #6

Sp33dFreak wrote:
Quote:
dr88keyz and SMP_Homer, thanks so much for your help. I ended up mostly using ISO 100 on P mode. I don't know how to use TV and AV modes (how to change the settings) and wouldn't know what to set anyway . . .I'm a beginner. I also discovered the scene mode fireworks setting is worthless Do you guys know what the difference is between Night Scene on the dial, and "Scene - night snapshot" is?
Sorry, I can't say much about those, I don't think I've ever checked those out. I like in the creative side of the dial :lol:

in Tv or Av mode, the 4-way button let's you control how fast the shutter is to open/close (Tv) or how big your apperture is set for (Av)... Tv is a lot of fun to play with.. grab a chair, sit where there's lots of movements (side of busy road, ball field, tennis court, etc..) and try taking pics at different speeds and of different subjects... I sat at a tennis court once taking pictures of the players and balls, and within an hour, I could make the ball look like it was streaking or totally hanging in mid-air with no movement, same with the players... sometimes freezing action isn't all that great.. you can end up with a pic of a cyclist totally not moving, all wheel spokes totally visible, making it look like he's just balanced on a non-moving bike.. you lose the speed feel in that, so you have to experience a little...

I don't have a S3, but I do have a S2... big bright sunny days, I'm in ISO 50... if there's some clouds, I bump it up to 100, 200 if it's really cloudy or under the lights, and try to use a shutter speed as fast as I can to minimize blur, unless that's what I'm aiming for...

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote