Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 12, 2003, 8:32 PM   #1

Default A70 problem - Tilted horizon / off-centre images

Bought an A70 last week and am generally very pleased with it. Only now on testing it thoroughly I can see that shots taken using the viewfinder turn out to be extremely tilted and off centre. I noticed the horizons in my pics were repeatedly not turning out straight, but put this down to my own carelessness at first.
Using the LCD gives the true image, but is often not bright enough to use if it is bright outdoors. Im aware that viewfinders on most digital cameras show only 80% of the true image, but what i am referring to is different.
I read one review by an S50 user who mentioned the same problem. Is this a regular Canon defect? Even though its my only complaint with this camera so far, for what it cost to buy - it would be pretty pathetic if it were widespread. I'm taking mine back tomorrow to be replaced. :x
Anyone else have this problem?
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2003, 10:01 PM   #2

Default A70 tilted photos

I had the same problem. And it's too bad because there isn't any other camera in thet price range with the A70's features. I took mine back today and we checked another one in the store and both had the same problem. If you use the opitcal viewfinder, the picture was tilted about 15 degrees clockwise in the final photo. It's a small defect but really maddening.

Is this true with the G3?
jpbodner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 4:50 AM   #3

I had this problem and washed out, over exposed photos as well! I tried setting the exposure compensation to a lower value, tweaking a lot with software...but, when doing a comparison with my aging S110, I realized that I just do not like the photos from the A70. Really too too bad - I love that camera otherwise...but back it goes today. I certainly hope the s110 holds up - it is 2 years old and still takes better pictures than any other p/s digital camera I have "auditioned" lately (Casio Z3, Canon s400, Canon A70)!
lowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 5:55 PM   #4

Replaced mine last week. Replacement didnt have tilt problem but did still produce slightly off-centre images. Looking at the front of the camera at the lens, I can see it juts out slightly to one side, a small gap on one side of the barrell and none on the other side.
But its not severe enough to warrant the inevitable haggling with the shop assistant on trying to replace it again, its liveable with.

From my experience and from reading others' various problems with the A70 I'd say anyone looking to buy this camera should test out the model thoroughly in the shop - checking exposures, picture angles etc. Maybe its just a small minority that have problems with this cam. I hope so, because people should'nt be put off, because its a great, great camera in all other respects, especially for the /$.
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote