Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:55 AM   #1

The problem is that I cannot use the built-in flash at all. I raised the flash manually, half pressed the shutter button and waits for the flash to load. According to the manual, the flash may take up to approximately 10 seconds to charge. The problem is that the flash does not charge at all. I waited 10, 20 seconds, even 5 minutes with the shutter button pressed. After some time, the LCD just goes black and the following message is displayed "change the bateries". I also used many kind of bateries (the unused alkaline bateries included in the package and also rechargable NiMH bateries). I verified the bateries are working fine by using them with my older camera, a Canon A95.

Many thanks for any answer or hint.
cricris000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

After some more testing with my camera, differently as I has initialy thought and stated in my post, it seems that the issue is not reproductile only when using the flash.

After about a minute (maximum a minute and a half) of letting the camera in stand-by while in Shooting Mode, the LCD monitor goes black and displays "change the bateries" message. This issue was reproduced 5 times in a row, so I think it is a consistent behavior.

Though, this does not happen while the camera is in Playback Mode. This also does not happen if the camera is actualy used (taking pictures, modifying some settings in Menu, etc.). I worked 7 minutes with the camera in the Shooting mode, then when I tried to used the flash, after keeping the shutter button half-pressed for a minute, the camera displayed the above message and turned off. As I mentioned above the same thing happened if I let the camera in stand-by mode for a minute.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:06 PM   #3

Could it be that you do really need to change the batteries? :?Maybe they have enough 'juice' to take a final photo or two, but not enough to charge the capacitor for the flash.

Or aAre you saying you alreadyput fresh batteries into the S2, but still did not get flash?
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:01 AM   #4

Code:
The tests were made with almost new AA-size alkaline batteries ( the ones included in the original package) (almost new, meaning that I have made about 10 pictures and a short 15 seconds movie with them in the camera) and with fully charged NiMH batteries (PowerEX, 2300 mAh).
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:03 AM   #5

I also have an S2is. I haven't personally had any problems with mine, but I've read about people getting flaky 'change battery' warnings.

What type of flash icon shows on your LCD or EVF? When my capacitor is charging the 'lightning bolt' iconflashes. Does yours?

As for the LCD/EVF going black (withOUT a 'change battery'), that'sto save power. I usually just half press my shutter button to'wake up' my display. You can adjustwhen it 'nods off': in record mode, menu, middle tab (tools?), Power Saving, Display OFF. Choose 10, 20, or 30 seconds, or 1, 2, or 3 minutes.

cricris000 wrote:
Quote:
After some more testing with my camera, differently as I has initialy thought and stated in my post, it seems that the issue is not reproductile only when using the flash.

After about a minute (maximum a minute and a half) of letting the camera in stand-by while in Shooting Mode, the LCD monitor goes black and displays "change the bateries" message. This issue was reproduced 5 times in a row, so I think it is a consistent behavior.

Though, this does not happen while the camera is in Playback Mode. This also does not happen if the camera is actualy used (taking pictures, modifying some settings in Menu, etc.). I worked 7 minutes with the camera in the Shooting mode, then when I tried to used the flash, after keeping the shutter button half-pressed for a minute, the camera displayed the above message and turned off. As I mentioned above the same thing happened if I let the camera in stand-by mode for a minute.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:04 AM   #6

The flash iconflashes on my LCD/EVF too. When I half press the shutter button while the flash is raised up, the icon starts flashing and continues flashing for a minute, when the message is displayed and camera is shutting down.

I know about the power save setting. But on my camera when I half press my shutter button to'wake up' my display, instead of waking up, it displays "change the bateries" message and is shuts down.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:43 PM   #7

I'm sorry cricris000, but it sounds as if your camera may have a power problem

If it were me, I'd look at the battery contacts in the camera. They're visible and accessible. Are they clean (no oxidation) and slightly raised? A pencil eraser will clean then, and a paper clip (I'm guessing) could be used to raise them slightly. Of course, it's your camera, and your risk.

If your cam is still under warranty, I'd start by contacting Canon. Their telephone service was quite helpful when I had a printer problem (I960) 2 years ago.

Good luck!

cricris000 wrote:
Quote:
The flash iconflashes on my LCD/EVF too. When I half press the shutter button while the flash is raised up, the icon starts flashing and continues flashing for a minute, when the message is displayed and camera is shutting down.

I know about the power save setting. But on my camera when I half press my shutter button to'wake up' my display, instead of waking up, it displays "change the bateries" message and is shuts down.