Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1

I have decided to post a shot of some resolution test patterns, which may help someone decide what camera to buy.

The shooting distance was chosen sothescene was aflat area about 9x12 feet. Test patterns were putnear the

extreme corners and also just inside points2' in (diag.)from the corners. Also test patterns were put in the middle

of the scene. So that the attachment file would be smaller, some cut and paste was done which makes the diagram

not to scale and also parts of the scene with no test patterns were omitted.

The zoom shown here was about 2x.I did tests at other zoom values also. All looked about the same except the widest

angle shot had some softness at the lower right corner.

Notice the tick marks alongside each test pattern. The fourth tick mark from the narrow end corresponds to about

1500 TVL (television lines) over a distance equal to the picture height. The fifthtick mark corresponds to about 1100

TVL/ph. (Two TVL equal one line pair.) Iconclude that the resolution was around or a little better than 1500 TVL/ph

at the center, around 1500 TVL/ph for most of the picture area not too close to the edges, and around 1300 TVL/ph

over much of the edges. Places where resolution fell short of 1100 TVL/ph existed but were rare and only at the

edges.

Attached Images

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:40 PM   #2

Here is the widest angle shot. Some barrel distortion can be seen.
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:44 PM   #3

Here is the maximum zoom shot (below)

Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4

Have you done other cameras? What is your opinion of the SD700 resolution, compared to other cameras you own/owned?
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:49 AM   #5

The SD700 is only the second digital camera I have owned. (The first was a dinky one megapixel Fuji model

I got for eBay pictures.) The only other camera I did these tests on was a Pentax film camera with zoom and that

was several years ago. I'll have to dig out the test results for that but from what I remember, the SD700

is about equal to that in terms of resolution.