Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:52 AM   #1

I had a Canon sd550 and after reading Steve's review,I traded up for a sd700. The iimage stabilization is nice, but thats it. All the regular and zoom pictures come out flat and the colors have no vibrancy compared to the sd550. The macro is much much worse. Any one else have these problems? Can I sue Steve?
bobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:56 PM   #2

I don't mean to seem deadset but I did buy the SD700 over the SD600 or SD550 simply because of the 4x optical zoom.

I haven't had it and used it long enough to try out all the features but I am sure the image stabilization will go a long way towards sharper pictures at the higher zoom levels. I probably won't use most of the other features such as white balance or kids/pets mode since I don't like to have to push a lot of buttons before each shot.

I may be mistaken but I had the impression that vibranccy, white balance, cropping, etc. can all be done in a computer after downloading the pictures. According to my calculations, 4x zoom and 6MP gives a larger effective zoom than 3x zoom and 7MP, after possibly some cropping and scaling in a computer.

The lens barrel obstructs the flash on both macro and regular low-zoom shots. This produces a shadow at the lower right of the picture. Not sure whether this is true of all similarly shaped Canon models.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3

You can always jack up the saturation setting or set the vivid color setting. I just bought the SD700 to replace my SD400. MY SD400 seems a tad sharper, but I crop a lot, so the SD700's extra pixels are welcome, though the difference is minute. The main reason I bought the SD700 was the IS for telephoto and low light situations. I shoot indoors without flash because I dislike the harsh look of flash, and I've lost a lot of good pictures with my SD400 to camera shake.

I've had trouble figuring out the macro, but the SD700 was meant only asmy take everywhere camera , when I don't want to lug my Nikon 8400. I use the Nikonfor the rare times Ineed macro.

Leave Steve alone! I like him and this site. There are other sites with more indepth testing, but Steve's site is concise, easy to use, and I always refer to this site first when deciding on a camera. Then I visit other sites for second opinions after narrowing down my choices.

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:03 AM   #4

Although I haven't used the cameras, I figure that the 4x zoom is probably a big plus, and I know for a fact that IS is VERY handy (my camera has a 12x zoom, and without IS that would be next to useless when handheld).

Are you sure you arn't missing some setting in the camera? I'm sure that Canon wouldn't make a technically inferior product later on in a line of cameras... perhaps you got a bad one.

And as somebody else mentioned, don't bug Steve, lol. I love this camera site and I found the reviews very helpful, and Steve seems like a great guy from the posts he makes.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:26 AM   #5

Hi. I was joking about sueing Steve. But I am complaining about the quality of my shots. I only use automatic settings as this is the only reason for buying this camera. I wanted something easy to just click and get a nice picture. My sd550 did it easily.The sd700 is a big step backwards. I think Canon doesn't want good shots from a point and shoot. Once you're hooked on photograpphy, they want you to buy a "real" camera. Just my opinion.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:58 AM   #6

Hi,

Just have a look at pbase:

http://www.pbase.com/doug717/canon_sd700_is
http://www.pbase.com/gailb/sd700is
http://www.pbase.com/alexis/ixus800

My opinion is that this little camera can produce high quality images...

Have you ever thought about buying the Fuji F30 instead of getting back your old SD550?
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:53 AM   #7

Hi again.Yes, some of those shots are great. The majority aren't. I'd bet that the good ones were not shot on automatic. What Canon seems to have done is degrade the sd550. I've noticed that the sd700 takes better shots with theIS turned off. TheIS seems to make a blurry photo acceptable, but it also makes a good one flat. If you test on script, it's not obvious. Using it in real life produces snapshots. You can recognize your husband and kids, but the printed picture is a joke. I think that's why Canon went down from 7m to 6m. They know that printing over 4x6 won't come out, and they don't want you to try. I'm not knocking Canon, but they traded a sharp small camera for a flat snapshhoter-good for shaky hands, not for great photos. They know that shaky hands are a big market, and that photographers won't buy this a s a carry around camera. The review said this was a great camera-it was misleading.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:05 AM   #8

I have talked to several users of the SD700 and they all seem to have no problems, however you're obviously unsatisfied with the camera, are you able to trade back to the SD550?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:43 PM   #9

You may be right about the IS, but is this a general IS problem or just Canon? IS is just another tool. Turn it off in bright sunlight at short focal lengths. If what you say is true, it would be nice to have an easily accessable button to turn it on and off. I myself have wondered if IS might, for some obscure reason, degrade pictures when it is not needed, at high shutter speeds. I'm definitely going to experiment with my SD700 to find the best settings.

To say that Canon would deliberately make a lousy camera to encourage upgrades doesn't make sense. Thedamage to their reputation would be worse than any dSLR sales they would gain. If Canon made lousy SD series cameras why would I risk buying one of their dSLR's when I can go to Nikon or Sony?

Also, you have to read more than one review and take responsibiltiy for your decision and not blame a reviewer. A reviewer writes for a general audience, and he can't know your exact needs, e.g. for me the IS was the deciding factor; for you it might me the the 'vividness'. I agree that SD700 pictures aren't as colorful as the older models, but that might be in response to owners who wantedmore natural color. I've had to desaturate some of my SD400 pictures because sometimes the red colors almost look neon. Think Fuji Velvia versus their regular film. I suggest you try the turning on the 'vivid' setting or adjust the 'saturation' setting.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:53 PM   #10

I never said" that Canon deliberately made a lousy camera to encourage upgrades".I wrote that they degraded the sd550 when they put out the sd700.This meanns that they put it in a different but lower category.They did the same with the G6 and Pro 1.The cameras were too good for their price range,so they were discontinued, so as not to compete with their dslr range.The best camera in the sd range was, and in my opinion still is ,the sd450. It takes the sharpest pictures and has the best macro.I seriously expect the sd700 to be discontinued by xmas. I bought mine online so can't return it.But I will be selling it at a loss. Its my own fault.I put too much faith in the reviews.I wish that they could show us the printed results of their testing.I don't take pictures of charts.I want to know how real world photos turn out in my hands at automatic setting and without a tripod.