Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 14, 2003, 5:55 PM   #1

Default G3 Zoom dial mechanical noise....

Hi I just received my G3 today, so excited.
But when I turn the zoom dial, I hear some noise, probably from the spring inside. Is this normal? Does anyone have that noise too? Is this normal for a new camera? Or I got a defected camera?

Thanks,

mini
minicoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2003, 6:42 AM   #2

Hmmm... difficult to isolate a sound over the net! However, the first one we got two weeks ago made an odd noise when extending the zoom. It sounded like a piece of material was caught in the mechanism and was "scraping" somewhere. Anyway - took it back to Jessops within two hours and they changed it immediately for another. No odd sounds on this one - just the zoom motor whirring, plus the AF servo working.

So, if it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't - I'd go back to the store and compare it with another unita and if the new G3 sounds quieter / different, the first has a fault.

Num
numskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 2:08 AM   #3

I went to best buy the other day. I found out the same noise from the zoom dial there. So I guess all the G3 have those kind of minor noise. I guess I am just too picky.
minicoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 3:37 PM   #4

Yep, just got a G3 as well, and it's pretty noisy as a whole. The AF motor and zoom motors aren't too bad, but are definitely noticable. But apart from that and one or two other gripes, gotta love this camera!
proze is offline   Reply With Quote