Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:37 AM   #1

Hi, I am considering whether or not I want to get the Canon S2 Is. I am wondering, from those of you who have it, whether or not you can program the camera to date imprint on the photos, without having to use photo software. Also, I am interested in personal opinions on the quality of the videos that are taken with this camera.

Thanks.
kglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:50 PM   #2

Videos are really good

Can't have the date appear on the pics w/o going through some software first, which is kind of a bummer...
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:16 PM   #3

All fourof my cameras have the ability to date stamp my photos, but the last thing I want to see on my prints is a date printed on them. The date I took the photois embedded in the metadata, if for some reason Ineed to know when I took the picture. IMO nothing distracts from a nicephotomore than a date stamped in the corner.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:16 AM   #4

There are scenarios for why this is needed... For example, insurance reasons... Take a pic of your car, and if you get some sort of accident, you have something that tells them when it was taken, and that it did look like it did before the accident,or if you take a pic after the accident, they know when...

Pictures used in court.. you need an affidavit to prove that what the image shows is from a specific time. That can help too

The metada in the file is great... until you print the picture...
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:57 AM   #5

I like having this feature as I am a scrapbooker who doesn't get the time to do the scrapping in a timely fashion. So thus, having the date stamped on the pics is helpful when it comes to organizing my pages.

Also, my dh does use the camera to take pics for court, he is an attorney, so the date stamp is needed.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:44 AM   #6

A date stamp has no more legal standing than the EXIF. You can easily alter either. I have read there are cameras specially made for the purpose (or specially modified) that can give a certified date stamp for legal and insurance purposes.

I ruined part of a roll of film by accidentally engaging the date stamp and was fastidious after that to check it was turned off. I wouldn't own another film camera after that with a data back. My plan was to take the first photo in a series with the date stamp and then take a second shot of the dated picture without graffiti. Then I would know when the series was taken. It seems silly to ruin the pictures with digital when you have full information available in the EXIF.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:09 AM   #7

Date stamp detracts from artistic photos, but for documentation purpose, it is very useful and I think every camera should be able to add date stamp through a menu setting.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:16 AM   #8

Its really all personal preference isn't it? I just think it'd be nice to have the info available to those that want it, and those that don't. As for running to my puter to check on the info, if I actually have time to do some scrapping, the last thing I want to do is to have to run back and forth to see what date I'm working on. It's all personal opinion. No need to get snooty one way or the other.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:51 AM   #9

kglade wrote:
Quote:
Its really all personal preference isn't it? I just think it'd be nice to have the info available to those that want it, and those that don't. As for running to my puter to check on the info, if I actually have time to do some scrapping, the last thing I want to do is to have to run back and forth to see what date I'm working on. It's all personal opinion. No need to get snooty one way or the other.
There's really no reason they can't put "date imprint on/off" into the menu and have it set to "off" by default. The presence would be transparent to those who don't wish to use it.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:35 PM   #10

kglade wrote:
Quote:
You are right of course. My only logical objection is menu clutter. The more features that are added the harder it is to scroll to the ones you use.

What is really needed is a utility that comes with the camera to customize your menu. That way they could add a large number of features to satisfy everyone without cluttering the menu.

Some cameras already have so many scene modes that they have made the feature almost useless unless you have plenty of time to set the camera up for each shot. It would make the feature a lot more useable if you could dump the ones you won't use.

My old Olympus let you move a couple of often used menu items to a higher position so they were available with a single button push when in the menu mode. But that comes well short of my organizer that lets you eliminate features you don't use so the menu has only items you do use.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote