Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1

how i can set these options for have good photos with a perfect compromise quality/dimension ?
i have always used the resolution of 1024x768 and the normal compression
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Administrator

If you are never going to print any photos, those settings would work for displaying images on the web (at least for now, as monitor resolution will continue to increase).

However, never is a long time not to print any images you capture.

If you plan on actually printing any images, I'd suggest using a higher resolution, as even 4x6" prints would be "borderline" at 1024x768, much less larger print sizes.

My advise... Always use the highest resolution and best quality mode your camera supports. In the case of your S40, you can set it to 2272x1704, and SuperFine JPEG Quality.

Memory cards are cheap. Why compromise on quality?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:46 AM   #3

i don't print photos.. and the problem is not the memory card, but if i do photos at max resolution every photo will be 2-3 mb.. and i don't have 1 terabyte of hard disk
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Administrator

Fine JPEG Quality is not bad. I'd still use the highest resolution.

You never know when you'll capture an image that you'll want to print at larger sizes (or when someone else will want to print a copy at larger sizes).

Also, display technology will continue to advance. 1024x768 sounds good right now. But, what about a few years from now? A number of users are already using 1600x1200 resolution. I see complaints about posted images being "too small" on some of the forums from these types of users from time to time now.

Heck, we may have walls with built in displays at much higher resolution down the road. We don't know what will happen. Technology is hard to predict. Do you really want a pixelated image showing up on a larger, higher resolution display, just to save a little disk space?

Years from now, you may wish you had captured higher resolution images, given advances we're likely to see in both print and display technology.

Why buy a 4 Megapixel Cameras if you're only going to shoot 1024x768 images (less than 1 Megapixel)?

Hard disk drives are cheap now, too. ;-)

I can remember spending a lot of money for my first 5MB full height Seagate Hard Disk Drive. Now, that wouldn't even hold one raw image from my newest camera. lol

Cost per megabyte will continue to decrease.

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:09 PM   #5

so how i can set? 1600x1200 with normal compression?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:26 PM   #6
Administrator

If you want to use 2 Megapixels (1600x1200) versus 4 Megapixels, using the poorest quality jpeg compression (Normal versus Fine or Extra Fine) that's up to you.

You'll find menu options in your models review here if you can't figure out where to set it.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...n_s40_pg3.html

This is the menu of recording options available in PAMS recording mode:
  • Resolution - Large (2272x1704), Medium1 (1600x1200), Medium2 (1024x768 ), Small (640x480) [/*]
  • Compression - Superfine, Fine or Normal [/*]
  • File Format - JPEG or Canon RAW (uncompressed) [/*]
  • Drive Mode - Single, Continuous, High Speed Continuous, 10- or 2-sec selftimer [/*]
  • ISO Speed - 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 or Auto [/*]
  • Digital Zoom - On or Off [/*]
  • Spot AE Point - Center or AF Point [/*]
  • Review - 2s, 10s or Off [/*]
  • File No. Reset - Off or On (sequential numbering) [/*]
  • Contrast - Weak, Normal or Strong [/*]
  • Sharpness - Weak, Normal or Strong [/*]
  • Saturation - Weak, Normal or Strong [/*]

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7

I agree with JimC that the perfect combination of quality and resolution is the very best your camera can put out. Those are your lifetime memories and thirty years from now the best quality you can use now will seem primitive.

I've seen quality brand double sided DVD burners online for under $50. You can store a couple thousand best quality images on a DVD that will cost you less than a buck. And for under 2 bucks you can have a backup copy to store in a different place.

Another alternative is to sort your images and just save the best at full quality. You can bulk process the rest down to lower quality and resolution. I find Irfanview thumbnails excellent for that as you can make the thumbnails any size you want so you can make most of the decisions right in the thumbnails.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:03 PM   #8

sorry for normal i mean the fine compression

but i must set the maximum resolution with the fine or normal?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:33 PM   #9
Administrator

Try it and see. You can probably use a lower resolution or compression if desired.

Personally, I'd use the Highest resolution (2272x1704) and at least Fine JPEG Quality (preferrably Extra Fine).

Then, make downsized copies later for web viewing using something like Irfanview, as Slipe suggested.

That way, you'd have larger, higher quality originals that you (or your family) may appreciate later, using downsized copies for web posting.

Disk space is cheap. ;-)

Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:29 AM   #10

i have do 2 photos at 2272.. with normal and extra fine.. i don't see difference..
is possible?