Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:05 AM   #1

A95 purchased Nov. 2004, over 8000 shots.

About a month I noticed when I turned my camera on the screen not have an image displayed only the camera data would display and if you take a picture you'll get no image. So I turned it off and back on and the image would display – no problem – so I thought. This continued intermittently until the past week it began to be more frequent until it stayed blank (image only). I later realized that the problem was the shutter not opening, you can see the shutter opening and closing when you take shots or turn it on by looking into the lens. (I thought digital cameras would not need one but I in the past noticed they do, couldn't they just electronically take a snap shot? Oh well.) A quick google yielded only a couple of similar experiences with no solutions. I mentioned this to a saleswomen and she claims she has heard of the problem before and suggested I try blowing out any possible debris. She also mentioned that the cost of repair is not worth it. She told me that digital cameras just don't last long especially compare to film cameras. Also a quick look at some postings in this forum would suggest the same.

Possible work-around-solution.

Anyways after some fidgeting around I found out that if you turn the camera on in playback mode and then switch it back and forth between shooting mode and playback mode (of course you must pause while in one mode till camera is ready) you'll be able to open up the shutter and get an image on the LCD. I'm not sure how long this will work. In any case I'm in the market for a new camera.

Well I'd be curious if any other here had this problem or has heard of it.

Hopes this helps.

yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:44 PM   #2

NOT!

The work-around-solution worked for only a couple days.

Well, I can till open the shutter through the computer.
yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote