Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 18, 2003, 4:50 PM   #1

Default Macro shots... S50 vs A70

I'm thinking of buying a digicam, basically for doing macro shots as well as general photography.

Right now I'm considering both the S50 and the A70 models. The S50 seems better because its a 5MP camera, but the A70 seems to have just phenominal reviews.

I'd also heard that the S40 was weak on macro shots so I'm a little concerned about that (since the S50 is the same line as the S40).

Can anyone recommend a particular model for me?

My price range is about $450US to $600US (I'm in Canada so say $600 to $950Cdn). It doesn't have to be a Canon model either if there's something better...
Seek_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2003, 8:32 PM   #2

Default Macro Modes

As previously stated, the effective close range focus for the S-series including the S50 in macro mode is 3.9 inches compared to 2 inches with the A70. The A70 can get even closer with the macro lenses too. The S-series including the S40 and S50 have no lens attachments to do the same as the A70.

You never did say what your intentions were for the photographs? If your an amateur then the A70 will be more than enough resolution at 3.2 megapixels and will produce beautiful 8X10 shots. If you want to spend the ~$500 or so for 5 megapixel S50 then I won't stop you. It will do a great job resolution-wise. But if you do purxhase the S50 your lense choice and macro ability will be wiped out.

It's tough decision but seriously though if you have $500 to spare surely you can afford a G3 or equivalent that will meet ALL your needs. As a professional photographer I can attest to purchasing the right camera that does everything you need it too.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 10:15 PM   #3

hmm. the G3s are a little out of my range.

Since I'm most interested in macro shots, I'll probably be going with the A70.

Can anyone recommend a particular macro lens? Or a decent place to buy one? I'll probably be buying the camera at Futureshop, and they don't seem to carry that sort of add-on..
Seek_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 10:28 PM   #4

Buy the camera over at LondonDrugs

They're employees, I find, are far more knowledgable in what they sell and more interested in helping you.

Also they carry the accessories for what they sell and if they do not normally carry it, they can order it directly from the manufactureres whereas Futureshop can not.

*shrug*

Thats me though
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 6:13 AM   #5

As mentioned before the A70 takes macro shots at 2 inches or 5 cm. When you add an adaptor and macro lens this reduces to 3 cm, or a little over 1 inch. Considering that the A70 is good for 8x10 images if they are well focused and free of camera shake (i have printed at this size and still got amazing detail), I'd go for the A70 again. I don't think there are add-on lenses available for the S-series cams, and in any case, unless you want to print at A3-size then you don't need the 5 megapixels. For anything up to 8x10 inch images - your eyes wont be able to tell the difference.
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 12:48 PM   #6

adaf adffa
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote