Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Ive been a newspaper photographer for 20 years but I need help. I want a digital camera that will cover the area of a 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera.
Im very confused on digital lens numbers.
The 3-4x lenses dont seem to cut it for me. ARe there anyu other numbers on the lenses I could use to approximate lens coverage?

I have a Fuji S3100 which I like a lot. the zoom lens is 6-36mm and is listed as a 6X. I need more wide angle coverage. Ive added a cheap 0.5x wide angle nes adapter which works. ./

I need a ultra compact digital (like an elph) with wide angle lens coverage. can anyone give me any lens numbers 6x or 10 x I might find on a elph size camera to solve my problem. I dknow Im not going to find a 10x lens on a pocket size camera, but the Canon S80 is too bulky for my needs.

Any suggestions?
big doug
[email protected]
Big Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2

Ricoh Caplio R40 or R3028-160mm

Ricoh Caplio 500G 28-85mm

Ricoh Caplio R4 or R3 28-200mm

Ricoh GR Digital 28mm fixed

Canon PowerShot S80 28-100mm

The zoom numbers are really used to sucker noobies in , "Look a x12 lens on this camera! "

The X# is really the longest focal length of the lens divided by the shortest, a modern superzoom is typically 36mm-432mm = 432/36 = x12 !

However since the X zoom number is a simple ratio, a 10mm-120mm lens or a 100-1200mm lens is still a X12 zoom

So, the lesson is ignore the X zoom numbers, and as with film cameras look at the given range of the lens on the camera in mm.

Perhaps one of the reasons you are confused isfor example the waymodern digicams canbe quoted as having totally different focal lengths.

The Fuji S3100 has a lens that is equivalent to a 39-234mm lens on a 35mm film camera yetthe lens itself isreally f6-36mm

That is because the sensors on digital cameras are much much smaller than the sensorof a film camera where the sensor is the piece of film.

In effectonly the central part of the image is captured giving a field of view equal to a longerlens on a film camera.

This results in a focal length multiplier, which on your camera is 6.5, turning a 6mm-36mm length lens into a (6 x 6.5) - (36 x 6.5) = 39-234mm lens.

See for more details and diagrams, http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...tiplier_01.htm

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:34 PM   #3

Sintares-thanks very much for the detailed info on digital lenses. Im aware of some of that and while my 6x fuji works fine, I needed the wide angle adapter 0.5x to increase my coveraage. sounds like the canon s80 would do the job but its not very pocket size.

Someone else mentioned a panasonic fx01 which had a leica 28-102 lens which sounds great also. Ill look into it
sounds like the super compact cameras might not cover the wide area I needx. I believe Kodak has one with two lenses that goes wide so Ill look into it.

thanks for the help
big doug
[email protected]
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:48 PM   #4

What range do you actually need ?

28 to ???

The Kodak V570 has 2 lens one a fixed 23mm andthe other a39-117mm
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:35 PM   #5

Hi, what I really need is the 28mm coveraage and aam thinking of buying either the Panasonic or the Kodak V570. Kodaks zoom range would work out well and it looks pocket size.
Thanks for the help[

Big Doug
[email protected]