Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 19, 2003, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Is there any reason to avoid buying an A70 right now?

I'm heavily debating buying a Canon A70, along with a macro lens as I plan to do alot of macro shots.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't buy the A70? Like is there a better model coming out soon or is there something terribly wrong with this product?
Seek_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2003, 2:25 AM   #2

Though some people have had a bad experience with this camera (i.e. something was broken or didn't work quite right) you must consider the sheer volume of camera's sold. Even if 5 out of 1000 cameras are defective, that is only .5% and your odds of getting one of the five are extremely small. Also, considering that the actual number of defective cameras per thousand is most definitely much smaller and the fact that if the camera is defective you can probably either return it to the store or get it repaired by canon under warranty, there is probably a greater chance of you winning the lottery while being struck by lightning and being abducted by aliens simultaneously than there is of you getting stuck with a defective model that can not be exchanged of repaired. Thus to answer the is there something wrong with this camera, not really and even if there is, you will most likely be able to exchange it. As for the is there a better model coming out, the a70 is brand new so chances are canon will not release a successor model to it until next year at the earliest. Going beyond the scope of just canon, new models are released throughout the year and any purchase in electronics will be obsolete in a year or two, so go for the canon and enjoy it!
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 3:23 AM   #3

I'd go along with this - I bought an A70 which consequently died 8 days later !! Took it back to the shop and aside from putting batteries in to check it was def not working they changed it without question.

It's a nice little cam with superb features and ludicrously easy to follow , intuitive controls.

stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 10:23 PM   #4

There will always be a new and better model that will comes soon. You should just ask to yourself if an actual model could fill your needs.

:roll:
Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 5:14 PM   #5

Default Re: Is there any reason to avoid buying an A70 right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek_1
I'm heavily debating buying a Canon A70, along with a macro lens as I plan to do alot of macro shots.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't buy the A70? Like is there a better model coming out soon or is there something terribly wrong with this product?
The reason you hear some "negative reviews" of this camera is due in part by operator error, being overexpectatous and a very small percentage of assembly manufacturing errors due to the shear volume of units being sold. Other errors are caused by excessive ESD, user error(ex. wrong AC adapter), being dropped down the stairs, etc...

Manufacturing errors are bound to happen with ALL camera models.
ALL
It's just a fact of statistics.

Many more A70's are being puchased now instead of let's say S50's. As a result more people will complain either of the features or minor problems such as using Alkaline batteries instead of NiMH batteries. Digital cameras are not fully without their quirks. Many experienced digicam users have come to understand this and just live with them.

Many problems are easily corrected and are just overhyped exacerbations posted here on Steves' DigiCams. Ever notice that most of those complaints come from new users?

For instance:

I just helped out an inexperienced fellow on another Canon newsgroup. He returned the presumed broken camera (swearing it was at fault). He was very mad with Canon! After a long debate with Canon customer service he was granted a replacement RMA.

I tried to reason with him so that he would reconsider his actions.

After 1 more camera exchange I told him to test the CF card with a CF reader. Holy smoke! It worked! As it turned out, the camera was not at fault all along. He just didn't know how to install the right drivers!

As a result he lost about 2 months useage as the camera was being replaced. He also lost about $800 in credit card useage too as it was being used for secuirty deposit while in transit. This type of issue happens alot. Silly.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote