Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

I just purchased a Canon Powershot S3-IS, and so far I am thrilled with my purchase. One thing I thought was really neat is that you can control the camera from a computer via USB for taking pictures. However, I cannot find an option for doing the same with video capture. Does USB2.0 not support such or is there some other program I could possibly use for this? One idea I have is to see if there is a way to make the computer think that there is a webcam attached as apposed to a digital camera, or the digital camera as a webcam.

Any advice/info/links would be greatly appreciated.
kjv1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:09 AM   #2

I do not know if anyone has had much success or thought with this, but apparently it IS possible to do so with this camera. I do not know for 100% sure yet, but it seems that I would have to use the audio/video connection into a t.v. capture card in a computer in order for it to work. Canon replied saying that I can use the RemoteCapture program that was included on the software CD. I didn't notice that before when I installed it, but I plan on giving it a shot.

I'll try to post here about my experience with that, in case it ends up being of assistance to someone else.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:44 AM   #3

Another update. The same Canon support rep replied back again, stating that they didn't realize that the software only works for still images, not video. So, I'm back at square one. I would like to be able to record audio and video via USB, but if that is not possible, then I will try to test with the video capture card (tv card). I have one in 2 different computers that I might use to test with.

If anyone has any other advise/suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:11 AM   #4

Well, I forgot all about this thread, and just happened to find a link to it again.

What I can say is this: It's not possible via USB. However, by connecting via RCA audio/video connections, I suppose you could use a capture card along with necessary software, and record that way. I don't recall, however, if it sends the audio along with the video if you're not actually playing back video.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:25 AM   #5

Take a look at this Link, the Software is great and free.
http://alkenius.no-ip.org/Cam4you_remote/

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote