Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:30 PM   #1

hey wasup!
I have been decidin to buy a megazoom digicam for sometime now.At 1st i was debatin between the sony or canon
but after doin alot of research i decided to go for the canons the only thing bein the swivel lcd, which is really very helpful...
So now after the s3 was released, i have got into a fix coz now agan i cant decide.
I wanted to know is there much of a diff between em to pay abit more?(almost US$100)
Wat i basically wanna know is regard pic quality and sharpness and speed of pics taken(shot-shot time)
Anywayz thanz for ya valuable time

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
surdy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:42 PM   #2
Administrator

The PowerShot S3 IS is the successor to last year's 5-megapixel PowerShot S2 IS digital camera. The PowerShot S3 IS enhancements include a newly designed 6-megapixel image sensor that together with Canon's proprietary DIGIC II image processor dramatically reduces "noise" for better image quality and achieves ISO equivalent speed ratings ranging from 80 to 800. This increased sensitivity allows the use of faster shutter speeds, thereby reducing the effects of camera shake and subject blur during hand-held photography in low light. The S3 is also fitted with a larger 2.0-inch, color Vari-Angle LCD display.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

I own a S2IS and for a 100 bucks I will I'll keep it. IMO the difference is not worth 100 dollars. I paid $290 6 months ago at Dell, free shipping.

Jeff :?
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:43 AM   #4

steve wrote:
Quote:
The PowerShot S3 IS is the successor to last year's 5-megapixel PowerShot S2 IS digital camera. The PowerShot S3 IS enhancements include a newly designed 6-megapixel image sensor that together with Canon's proprietary DIGIC II image processor dramatically reduces "noise" for better image quality and achieves ISO equivalent speed ratings ranging from 80 to 800. This increased sensitivity allows the use of faster shutter speeds, thereby reducing the effects of camera shake and subject blur during hand-held photography in low light. The S3 is also fitted with a larger 2.0-inch, color Vari-Angle LCD display.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

But is it worth payin that extra US$100, wid regard to pic quality(ill be basically takin pics of landscape and of flowers and insect wid this camera, but at the same time i mite need a camera to be robust incase i comeupon this awesome view while in the bus or soo ?)and shot-shot time ?

anywayz thanz for ya valuable time and reply....
surdy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:42 AM   #5

If you already had the S2, I'd say stick to it and wait for a better upgrade, probably a year or 2 down the road

If you're tight for money, or would prefer to spend the extra on memory, batteries/charger or lens adapter, then the S2 is good

I haven't seen anything yet that tells me the S3 is superior than the S2 to the point of wanting to spend an extra $100 to get that superiority, but the extra kick in ISO might be of interest...

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:53 AM   #6

I got a S2 for 320.00, from what I've seen it's a better deal, If I was to consider a S3,

I'd just get an Sony H-5, a lot better camera, IMHO. The LCD is what gets me,

S2,S3, swivel, which is great, but useless without my glasses, which I use for

reading only. The H-5 and a few others of the larger ones I could use. Just

my ideas, if ya can see fine or wear your glasses all the time ya might think

different. Still for me S2 is a better camera and a better deal. Sure would

like more ZOOM ! Suppose a video camera is next !

James

jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:38 AM   #7

The H5 is a nice camera, but it uses Sony's own memory... Which is a big downfall for me, because I like to "share" my memory between my devices (MP3 player, palm, camera, thumb stick), so if there's a need for say more song capacity, I can take a card from my palm/etc... if I had different memory cards for each device, that would get to be expensive...
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:24 PM   #8

I just had a quick look at the S3 today when I took my S2 into the store for repair (E18 lens error). A couple of quick things I noticed is that the ISO has it's own button on the back so in manual settings it's much easier to adjust this setting. No need to go into the whole menu thing and scroll through all this stuff in there. So if set on Manual the aperture and ISO settings are easy to adjust in a hurry. (This excites me for some reason.)

The screen is a little bigger but not really noticeably. I rarely use the LCD for picture taking anyhow, and only occasionally for shooting a video. It just sucks the life out of batteries.

The salesman at the store said that a new feature in the S3 was that you could actually take a still while the video was running. So, say, if you're at your kid's soccer game and your videoing it, you can snap a picture just as he's winding up to score the winning goal. I suppose this would be handy but I've never had much of a problem just capturing a still from the video. Maybe the quality is better when done the S3 way? Dunno.

Same old flash by the looks of it. I don't like the built in flash that comes with the S2. What they need to do for the future S4 if there is one is make an easy one button setting to adjust the flash output because the way it is now, at least on the S2 is that things tend to get washed out with red-eye on the default setting. By the time you go in and adjust the output you've probably missed the spontaneity of the thing you were taking a picture of. And people get annoyed when they have to stand around waiting while you fix the flash. Mostly I don't use the flash if I can get away with it. I suppose I could buy a better flash to go on it but the E18 error has me spooked. I'm not sure how much I want to invest in extra equipment for this Canon.

S2 is silver. S3 is black, which I prefer.

I don't know what else. I only had a quick look and since I wasn't planning on actually buying i didn't want to eat up too much of the salesman's time.

amack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:33 PM   #9

The S2 also has four batteries verse two sony, better battery life for S2.

The memory thing would not effect me, I'd just buy one 2 or 4 gig and leave

in camera. Can you use a 4 gig card in S2 ?

The S2 also will take picture during video.

What are the things that happened before the lens error.

Did you notice any sounds, mine makes a shuffling sound when zooming

sometimes.

Any way to prevent moire in video ? See it on roofs and such. Also get moving

glare on chrome and long flat surfaces in direct sun light, like the top of pickup

bed. Changing the metering seems to help sometimes.

Thanks for any info.

James
jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:47 AM   #10

The camera didn't make any unsual noises when the error happened. I was just turning it on and it stopped with the lens halfway out. I assumed the batteries died so I changed them, tried turning the camera on and off a few times but to no avail. I could still preview pictures I had taken and uploaded them to my computer and then deleted them from the card but obviously I couldn't take anymore.

I don't know if the S2 can take a 4 gig card. I only have a 1gig card. I'm just a duffer so it works fine for me so far. I usually upload the pictures to my computer the day I take them because I like to file things according to date and it just makes it easier that way.

I don't know about the moire pattern during video. I suspect it's just a problem cameras have in general. As for the glare, I think I know what you mean and I'm thinking maybe a len hood would help?
amack is offline   Reply With Quote