Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1

Hi,

So I bought my SD600 2 days ago, and decided to test out the image transfer before I go on vacation. Anyway, I installed everything, connected the camera, XP recognized (and installed) the drivers, and it prompted me to pick which program I would like to use.

I chose CameraWindow as the manual said. Anyway, nothing happens. I can try to manually open camerawindow, but nothing happens.

Opening up Zoombrowser works, but it wont connect to the camera.

Oddly enough, if I go through windows explorer, I can use the windows image removal program to remove pictures.

Any ideas?

Edit: I've tried doing it in multiple USB ports as well as using multiple SD cards (the 16meg one included, and a 2gig one I purchased). Nothing changes.
hunterjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2

Long shot but... When you try to start Zoombrowser does it suggest several versions, say one for the SD550 camera, one for the SD600, etc. Are you sure you selected the SD600 version?

(Or when you installed Zoombrowser did it suggest several versions to choose from?)

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 PM   #3

No choice on the versions. There ARE two CameraWindow versions via start/programs, but neither of them work.

I have version 5.6.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:04 PM   #4

the best solution is to get a card reader and do not down load from your camera. It is much faster for one thing. I'm not sure what image editing progam you're using, I have Photoshop Elements 3 and I down load directly to it. No camera cords to mess with, no worries of your battery going dead during thedownload.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:14 PM   #5

Right,

However, if the canon software cannot recognize the camera, how would it recognize the card within the reader?

I can use Zoombrowser (the software packaged with it), or Elements (I forget which version)
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:01 PM   #6

I had the same problem on one of my computers, and Canon's "self help" was as useless as ever ("is it turned on?", "reinstall"... yeah, right). Then I found the solution, posted by Sehlberg. I suppose you use Windows XP.

In short: start the CAL, SSDP and WIA services, and make sure they're set to start automatically in the future.

(Edit: An SD card reader, as was suggested, doesn't help much if you for example want to do more advanced remote capturing from your computer than what Windows' built-in capabilities offer. Getting CAL to run solves this too.)
Seehund is offline   Reply With Quote