Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 22, 2003, 8:24 AM   #1

Default Lousy JPEG quality

I have to admit that my Canon S45 is the first digital camera I've bought, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I'm very disappointed with the image quality of JPEGs. There's no high quality JPEG setting!

It seems stupid to me. The highest quality JPEG setting is not very high. You can see artifacts all over the picture when you zoom in. The only way to get higher quality photos is to store the photos as huge RAW files.

Why isn't there a very high quality JPEG setting? A setting that makes JPEGs that are indistinguishable from the RAW file. It would be a much smaller file than RAW (about half the filesize), and only a slightly bigger filesize than the current highest JPEG setting.

Are all canon cameras like this or is it just the S45? Am I the only one who finds this very annoying? Does anyone have a good reason why there isn't a "proper" JPEG setting on the cameras?
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 11:40 AM   #2

Canon usually offers three JPG file sizes and three levels of compression plus RAW. I suspect you're not telling the camera which combination to use. Some combinations and features aren't available when shooting in the automatic ("A") mode. If you haven't tried it, switch to the program ("P") mode and reset the file format.

I always shoot using Canon's RAW mode. The files are a little bigger than the highest quality JPGs, but let you process the pictures outside the camera.

If you haven't replaced the CF card that came with your camera, you should get a larger one as well as a spare battery.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 12:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Canon usually offers three JPG file sizes and three levels of compression plus RAW. I suspect you're not telling the camera which combination to use. Some combinations and features aren't available when shooting in the automatic ("A") mode. If you haven't tried it, switch to the program ("P") mode and reset the file format.

I always shoot using Canon's RAW mode. The files are a little bigger than the highest quality JPGs, but let you process the pictures outside the camera.

If you haven't replaced the CF card that came with your camera, you should get a larger one as well as a spare battery.
got to be a setting issue, cause my S30 takes incredible pictures
djbango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 7:01 AM   #4

I don't think you've understood me. I don't have trouble using my camera.

There are three JPEG quality settings on the camera, but I'm talking about the highest quality setting. The lower two settings give abysmal quality. The highest setting does give the highest quality results. But they are still pretty poor considering you can have a JPEG that is virtually indistinguishable from the original image. The highest quality setting is nowhere near indistinguishable, it's covered with artifacts.

Considering they let you store your photos as RAW files, you'd think they'd give you the option to store them as high quality JPEGs, which would take up half the space of the RAW files.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:18 AM   #5

Perhaps you could post a link to show just what you are talking about. The highest setting for JPG images produces fantastic results, I have the G3. Maybe there is something wrong with your camera. Do you have it on the "L" superfine setting?
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 1:47 PM   #6

Look here at this sample pic I made:

http://www.graphix.plus.com/member/user/canon.jpg
Old May 23, 2003, 10:34 PM   #7

I really can't see a lot of difference in your example but if you really think it's a problem with the camera then you should exchange it. You might try doing a search for photo galleries containing S45 pics to compare. There are many photo galleries out there. Go to the dpreview.com forums and put s45 galleries in the search box.
As far as the artificial sharpening, make sure that "photo effects" is off, that is, if the s45 has this feature.

Hope this helps!
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 10:19 AM   #8

Default I DO see!

I have a much more simpel Canon Powershot A60 camera with only 2 megapixel, but I have the same problem as you. I dont find the best JPEG quality to be THAT good. It almost looks like the Jpeg setting 5-7 in for example in Photoshop. So, are WE wrong or the others? =)

Regards,
Fredrik
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:01 PM   #9

Oh... someone who understands me!

Nice to know I'm not alone. Thought I was going crazy, there!
Old May 28, 2003, 7:00 PM   #10

Totally agree with you!!!
The money has already been thrown away so now I only hope that with a new firmware (if it will come out) the quality will be improved or the RAW mode will be added or ..... cracked ;-)
I wouldn't mind to buy more memory in exchange for quality..
I choose this camera just for the dimensions or I would have bought the S45.
Sorry for my english,

regards,

Claudio
claudio is offline   Reply With Quote