Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:04 AM   #1

I was on a 7-day cruise last week and my A610 camera had an unfortunate fall from my own hands and the lens cover assembly fell off and the little tabs that cover the lens were broken during the fall. The camera was turned on at the moment and despite this fall, it is perfectly operational. Its only problem is that it looks ugly and the lens is exposed at all times. I have taken well over 500 pictures since the fall with no visible effect on the pictures.

Is is worth sending this camera for repairing this? That is, will the cost of the repair exceed the price of a replacement camera of the same model? I would get another A610 without thinking. Already took over 5,000 pictures with it since I got it in January and I am very pleased with it.

It is under warranty but this kind of damage is not covered. There is a small dent next to the place where the part that broke off cracked. See the attached pictures.

The first was taken by the camera itself on a mirror.
Attached Images

luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:08 AM   #2

The front face of the lens assembly. There is a crack right on the reflection. The camera hit a metallic rim on the floor right at that spot.
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:13 PM   #3

That's bad news.

I doubt it the repair will be cheap. On an old Nikon film compact I still have, I sent it off for a repair to Nikon and wasquoted a minimum of 75GBP (thats about USD140). The A610 is getting quite hard to find in shops now, but if you do decide to buy yourself a new one you might be able to pick up a bargain.

BTW, surely your travel insurance or personal possessions insurance should pick up the cost of the damage?

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:27 PM   #4

The travel insurance I had was for the cruise itself, such as if I become ill and things like that,not my possesions. Probably the credit card could cover it. I really don't know.

I am amazed that this camera was released less than a year ago and it's been discontinued already. It's a great camera.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:45 PM   #5

I am yet to send my camera for repairs but I am looking into the possibility of replacing the camera with a new one even though this one works properly despite this problem.

Has Canon orphaned this camera so soon? It is no longer in (online) stores and it doesn't even appear in the Canon USA web site.

There are new cameras in the A6x0 series which would be direct replacements but they are 8 and 10 megapixel cameras, which I don't need. Is there any other model that could be considered replacement of the A610 in the 5 MP range and with the swivel screen? I like the ability to use AA batteries too. There's still eBay anyway.

One last question. Do the newer A6x0 fix the horrible hissing noise the A610 has when taking video clips? That's my only gripe about the A610.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:30 AM   #6

Yes Canon have discontinues the A610 and A620, and you are right in saying that they've replaced them with the A630 and A640.

You can still buy both the A610 and 620 on line in the UK, although stocks do seem to be limited and a quick look at theA610 review page on Steve's Digicams does reveal several US online vendors offering the camera.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:51 AM   #7

I am not in the UK so that is not an option for me.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:50 AM   #8

Yes but US vendors will ship to Puerto Rico.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:02 PM   #9

I know but it is becoming harder to find. I got mine in J&R las January and they no longer have it.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:43 PM   #10

I decided to go with the repair. Not cheap at $99 but I really like the camera and it is less than a year old. I took almost 1000 pictures after the fall and the camera is perfectly operational and no damage other than the lens cover resulted from the fall. A replacement camerawill cost more than $200 anyway. It should be back in a few days.