Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 23, 2003, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Hot/Stuck pixels- New Canon G3

Hello,
This is my first post on this board and I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to get a general consensus out there regarding the problem of hot/stuck pixels. My first G3 that I purchased mid-April had one stuck (appeared in all shots) pixel, so I returned it and exchanged it for a new one. The new one has two hot pixels- they do not appear in all shots, but if I want to shoot indoors with moderate light and no flash- they do show up.
How common is this problem? I have both called and emailed Canon and they have advised me that this is normal. My problem is that after reading several forums- Others out there don't seem to have this problem, or atleast, hot pixels don't show up until they reach settings if ISO 400 .5 sec.
Here is a crop of an original photo of some flowers I took :

Both hot pixels can easily be seen (atleast I can see them)
The original can be found here (image 151) click original to view full
http://jazcansphotos.fotopic.net/

The shot was taken at ISO 100 Tv (shutter speed) 1/25

I have also run the Starzen test with the following results:

With the default values set (luminance of 60 for hot and 250 for dead) I had the following results:

ISO 50 1 sec- 1 hot pixel at coordinates x=1832, y=897 luminance 76
ISO 100 .5 sec 1 hot pixel at same coordinates luminance 83
1SO 100 .8 sec 1 hot pixel at the same coordinates luminance 113
ISO400 .3 sec 2 hot pixels- 1 at same coordinates luminance 126
and a second at coordinates x=1681 y=1180 " luminance 71
ISO 200 .3 sec 1 hot pixel at coordinates X=1832, y=897 Luminance 81
If anyone out there can help me interpret these results, I would appreciate it. There seem to be others out there that can run the test and not have any hot pixels or they have to lower the default values to 10 to have any show up. I have two more days to exchange the camera but according to Canon I may get one that has even more hot pixels.

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 6:31 PM   #2

I have an S45 and it has 1 pixel that is always white.

It's been there ever since I bought the camera.

It's always there in every photo I take no matter what the settings are.

It really annoys me, but the general amazingness of the camera overshadows it so I'm still happy. I really wish I could exchange it though, but I wouldn't know how to, as I bought my camera from another country.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 9:06 PM   #3

I spoke to the salesman at the store where I purchased the camera this morning and he thinks that I should exchange the camera again. I'm lucky that I purchased it locally.
Canon says that it is a normal phenomenon but I think I'm going to try again. I know of many other users out there that only see hot pixels occurring at much slower shutter speeds and higher ISO settings. I suggested to Canon that they come up with some kind of firmware update that would allow us, the end-user to map out the hot pixels ourselves but I don't think they have any plans to do so in the near future. I know Olympus has already done this but I guess it will take many more complaints for Canon to do something about this problem.
Hopefully my third G3 will be problem free
Old May 27, 2003, 9:48 PM   #4

Well,
After going back and forth on this issue, I decided not to exchange the camera. Since Canon admits that all their CCD's have hot pixels I decided to live with them (reluctantly) for now.

I've read numerous posts where people have exchanged their G3 up to 4 times and still received one with stuck/hot/dead pixels.
I'm disappointed that for the money I spent, I didn't get a clean CCD to begin with. I have tried but cannot get a clear-cut answer from Canon regarding what they think an acceptable amount of hot/stuck/dead pixels are. I purchased the Canon Rebel EOS 12 years ago and I've never once had any problem with it. I also own a Canon scanner that produces great results.
I originally chose the G3 because of the fantastic reviews on this site and others, and I'm not disputing that it is a great camera in many ways.
I am planning to write a letter to Canon Canada regarding this issue and I hope that the response I get is a little better thought out than what I have received so far from them.
Why aren't all CCD's in the G3 line created equal?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:45 PM   #5

Hi. as much as I know that's a common problem. I have a G3 and I haven't seen any hot pixel so far. but i do know a small software that easily removes hot pixels from pictures. If you're interested i can give you the URL from where you can download it.

best regards
Pedro Rodrigues

http://www.pedro.dk3.com
Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:05 PM   #6

I have several programs already that do remove hot pixels.
I can also easily remove them with the rubber stamp tool in photoshop. I'll definitely be getting the CCD remapped before my warranty is up. It is annoying but I've learnt to live with it for now.
Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:16 PM   #7

Ok, even better.
There's nothing like a problem solved
keep on with the good work.

best regards
Pedro Rodrigues
http://www.pedro.dk3.com
Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:11 PM   #8

Default Re: Hot/Stuck pixels- New Canon G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcan
The new one has two hot pixels- they do not appear in all shots, but if I want to shoot indoors with moderate light and no flash- they do show up.
How common is this problem?
The great advantage of going digital is the avoidance of tedious 'spotting' of images and the dreadful dust problem with negs & slides plus filmscanners (or enlargers). I would have expected most serious photographers (or anyone else) to find bad pixels quite unacceptable in a brand new, expensive, high-tech electronic product.

I bought a Casio QV-5700 recently (competitor to G3), and my first specimen had a single bad pixel and a pattern of 5 others around it, even on tif images, so maybe it was a dust speck. I was lucky to spot it, because it wasn't always the same colour. It would have driven me nuts if my dealer hadn't exchanged it without question.

The problem is common, because many people in these forum have seen bad pixels, but eveyyone should insist on a replacement for machines that have them.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote