Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:08 PM   #1
Me

Hi guys. I seem to have bad luck with Canon reliablilty, but I love the user interface and image quality.

My first was an S400. Worked great until the famous "memory cad error" problem. Itherefore was forced to buyan SD500 for a trip to Thailand, which was awesome...until the flash started smoking on me a few weeks ago. Then shortly thereafter, I got the famous cracked LCD problem. Good thing Costco is awesome with returns! Fortunately, my S400 is working fine now, and Canon will also warranty it (finally!), so I'll send it in soon to fix it permenantly. However, I've been completely spoiled with the speedy operation, 640x480 30fps video, slim profileand supre-bright flash of the SD500. I was about to buy the SD700IS, but I'm a bit disapointed with the small sensor size and resulting noise, and the dimmer-than-SD500 flash, not to mention the lower pixel count.

I'm hoping the next SD series will fix these problems. I was hoping to hear about them in Yesterday's announcement, but no such luck. So, has anyone heard any rumors about the next SD cameras, or does anyone have any idea when they'll come out.
Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:17 PM   #2

Expect to hear them next year at around the same time they announced the SD600, 630 and 700IS. Canon is getting worried how Panasonic is seemingly overtaking their market share in the North American market. They will watch and see how Panasonic's new cameras will do in the marketplace (FX07, FX50, FX3, LX2) and when they know what to offer in their new cameras, then they will make the announcement.

I'm sure, Canon has the next generation of SD series cameras ready in their labs. But they need to know which ones will make money in the market. Adding more megapixels isn't cutting it anymore.

We need something revolutionary from Canon. Personally I'd like to see an SD series camera with Image Stabilizer, 6x zoom, upto ISO3200 usable and manual controls. But that's just me.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:17 AM   #3

Renegade, I think I'd be in heaven if Canon made an SD series sized camera like that, haha. But it would cost an arm and a leg, and that doesn't sell, so it's not likely. I think they should use some of Kodaks new tech, (the 10x optical zoom in a ultra-compact using dual lenses)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:36 AM   #4

True, but lets hope unlike Kodak with the V610they resist the temptation to make a gorgeous looking camera thats crap to actually use..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Me

So, when did all of those camera's come out last year?

What I'd really like to see is...

*ISO capabilities comparable to the new Fuji cameras- high ISO with relatively low noise. This might be helped along by having a larger sensor. They keep getting smaller and smaller, which is the wrong direction. Use the same sensor size as in the old S400.

*Rather than having another layer of zoom, I'd like it to remain ~3x, but start out a little wider. The biggest probelm I've had with my cameras are fitting everything into frame- especially indoors.

*Longer battery life would be nice

*Keep the image stabilization. This is very important on a compact camera, and it will probably further increase the low light capabilities beyond what is offered by Fuji.

*Keep the size no bigger than the SD500

*Keep the optical viewfinder

*Manual controls like the Fuji F11 would be really nice to have

Are you listening, Canon? I'm on the verge of defecting to Fuji. If they had an optical viewfinder, and if there daylight shots weren't ~5% behind yours, I'd already be there!
Me is offline   Reply With Quote