Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:01 PM   #1

I wanted at least 10x with image stabilization so I thought the S3 was perfect.It was a little large for me, but I figured I could deal. Now however, these two others come out...

Love the s10 and A710 for the size

Love 710 and s3 for shutter/aperature priority and can't believe S10 does not have them

Would love the 10x or 12x zoom, but wondering if 6x is enough, especially with 7MP so I could do some editing

I'm familiar with Canons and comfortable with them

Leaning towards the A710.

What am I missing?

Thoughts???
Ozzy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:06 PM   #2

Bump.

I'm considering the A710IS against the S3IS too. What are the major differences between the two?
GMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:15 AM   #3

Hi .

I also wanted 10/12 zoom but seeing as the A710has an option of a add on lens and it seems to be the only decentzoom with a view finder (even if it's not 100%)

Iv'e odrered one based on the review at

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml.

A great pity the Pana people pander to the bimbos of this world and have left off the viewfinder on the TZ1 - what on earth were they thinking about? - maybe the been counters are in charge.

Regards

Malcolm
Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:05 PM   #4

I have owned a couple 12x digital cameras and really enjoyed the flexibility they offer for long distance shots. However, my wife and I decided that we wanted something more portable than these bulkier cameras and that she could stick in her purse and have with us on most recreational occasions.

I hated to give up the big zoom but was happy to find some 6X cameras like the A710 available with IS. I searched around quite a bitand luckily came across the Canon A710 before I settled for something that I think I wouldn't have been entirely satisfied with. Information is limited so far to a couple of official reviews and a handful of user reviews who already have itbutthis is what I like that I've heard/read so far:

Good picture quality,not perfect in all situations but well above average for a camera in this class. Optical viewfinder plus a decent sized LCD screen. Optional attachments and accessories like the underwater housing. Good movie mode which comes in handy when we don't have the camcorder around. Full manual controls in addition to a good automatic mode. Speedy mechanics. It uses two AA batteries (which I prefer over specific lithium batteries, personal preference) and good battery life. And, of course, the 6X stabilized zoom. Oh, and the relatively compact size compared to the 12X cameras.

The only thing I couldn't find much info about was its low-light performance but I'm optimistic.

Anyway, it had the best combination of features forus minus the super zoom, but the 6X zoom should keep me mostly satisfied. So, I just ordered it. I'll try to post again after I've used it for a bit.
Javalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:47 AM   #5

Thanks for your thoughts. Would love to read your review.
Ozzy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:50 AM   #6

I switched from S3 to 710 because of small, bad and dark electronic viewfinder and clumsy switching between LCD and viewfinder on S3. Specs and pictures of S3 are OK, but 710 is easier to work with,especially withthe optical viewfinder.I found that a SLR-like camera can't replace a real SLR. So I'm happy now with my Canon Powershot A710iS and Nikon D70.

Frank Bos - Holland
Daguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:41 AM   #7

Greetings.

Another review is hereof A710 IS

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3533

Cheers

Malcolm
Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote