Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:50 PM   #1

Have the A95 now have the A610, quite honestly I cannot tell the difference between them printing 6 x 4 or on the screen. My Fuji F11 possibly slightly better? What I don't understand are many reviews and owners reviews and postings saying how wonderful the A610/620 cameras are. If printing 6 x 4 or having them printed is it true to say most cameras in this sort of price range gives the same result. I.e. do we just go and pick the one that feels best to us rather than spend hours reading reviews and forums, are we kidding ourselves the difference is in most modern decent cameras are very similar indeed, in fact my Panasonic FZ2 ancient takes just as good pictures as the above and also my FZ20 is similar again except these two have longerrange. Anyone agree with me or not?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:52 AM   #2

Maybe ive hit a nerve here. ??
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:22 PM   #3

No, just the initial post was made on a holiday weekend and was only 12 hours old by the time you made your second!

I would guess that outdoor pics from comparable Canon/Fuji/Sony/Panasonic etc. p&s cameras should fall within a 10% quality delta. Sony pics tend to be sharper than Canon's "out of the box". I can notice this right away. I can also notice oversharpening on Sony's part on occasion. Some people are pleased by this, others prefer Canon's smoother, softer approach. I've seen Fuji pics that are less saturated than my Canon's. Some people would say the image is not punchy enough, others would argue it is more realistic.

A key difference now between competing cameras is in lighting situations that are less than optimal. My Canon A620 is not nearly as good as a Fuji F30 when shooting indoors without a flash. The Panasonic TZ1 has a massive zoom, but more noise in high-ISO situations. So there are still many differences between cameras.

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Maybe ive hit a nerve here. ??
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:01 PM   #4

Than you for your opinion. it just seems to me that i may have wasted my money in my opinion of course upgrading to the A 610 from the A 95 ,no betterphotos im getting it seems ,more zoom ,well a bit more, faster well a bit,,bigger lcd but same pixels so not so sharp screen now,,but also itsnot so well built as the A 95 and so maybe cameras only improve just a little bit and in this case the feel and build has gone a step backward , maybe canon could / will do better next time , not so much an upgrade as a sideward move imo .
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:17 PM   #5

Were you able to sell your A95?

I would say that my move from an A85 to the A620 was an incremental upgrade. I sold my A85 on Ebay for $181 and bought my A620 for $225. It was worth it for me. But you already had the top of the line Powershot A series camera, and other than the faster shot-to-shot performance the A610 has over the A95, I think you are correct in saying it is not really much of an improvement.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:49 AM   #6

Hi again , No ive still got my A 95 ,and i may sell the A 610 , i like the cool feel of the A 95 and nicer build , the A 610 grip gets kinda warm if you hold it for long shoots ,A 95 does not imo stays cool to the touch,. You know i read and reread many reviews here elsewhere and owners opinions about the A 610 , lots said its wonderfull, i think its just ok ,but i think the build issues ie plastic makes me think i wont ever love this device and i wonder why it is so popular , Well i dontadmire it like i do my A 95, I do admit i like 4 /5 cameras to use and then i dont get tired of just using one or two ,so my other cameras take as good or better pics , and feel well put together, better construction ie my A 95 and my wonderfull imo panny FZ 2 / and FZ20 , The fuji F 11 also has that feels well built about it. Build quality is important to me and so the A 610 is gona be e bayed i think id better get it gone not fit for purpose in the build department , (only my opinion though ),here in the uk it should fetch £ 130/ £ 140seconhand as its mint,ony cost £ 165,and im learning sometimes newer models are no better or rather not much better , For me could be to look at a new camera say every two years to see if any real improvements are there ,if not you know im not gona give them my hard earned thank you again for your point of view btw.( 2 edits bad speller sorry)
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:34 PM   #7

If I were you I'd Ebay that A610 sooner rather than later; prices will only go down when the new A-series become readily available.