Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Casio (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/casio-20/)
-   -   Casio EX-FH-100 Wins Top Compact Zoom Award (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/casio-20/casio-ex-fh-100-wins-top-compact-zoom-award-172734/)

mtclimber Jun 17, 2010 8:19 PM

Casio EX-FH-100 Wins Top Compact Zoom Award

The FH-100 came out a winner in the latest DPR review of Compact Zoom cameras just published. Add to that award, the fact that www.walmart.com just cut the price on the FH-100 from $399 to $249. Wow!

Well, I ordered one and it is supposed to be received next week. I figured it was not too much of a risk as Walmart has an excellent return policy.

I will be posting photos as soon as I receive the FH-100. Perhaps some FH-100 owners will post some photo samples. I think this is a good boost for Casio.

Sarah Joyce

skylark Jun 18, 2010 12:05 AM

Very much looking forward to your opinion of the FH100 Sarah.

Especially your opinion of indoor shots of people with flash in normal residence room lighting from 8 to 12 feet. Those distances seem to be the most common when a group of guests are trying to take pictures of the participants at a special occasion at someone's home or even at a restaurant or hotel.

Shots of people closer than 8 feet are usually fairly good due to the better flash illumination so they don't pose as much as a challange.

Thanks,
Sky

mtclimber Jun 18, 2010 10:38 AM

Sky-

The review on the FH-100 stated that like the competition, the built-in flash was weak. So, we may have to resort to a Slave Flash again. I won't know for sure until I receive the camera next week.

Sarah Joyce

skylark Jun 18, 2010 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1109159)
Sky-

The review on the FH-100 stated that like the competition, the built-in flash was weak. So, we may have to resort to a Slave Flash again. I won't know for sure until I receive the camera next week.

Sarah Joyce

Your opinion of NR with built-in flash at about 8 feet is of most interest since my wife would not be using a slave flash. Not interested in brightness of exposure since all P&S flashes are usually limited to 8 feet or less, but how much NR affects picture quality. I don't mind cleaning up noise in post but there's nothing that can be done if excessive in-camera NR is already present.

Thanks,
Sky

mtclimber Jun 19, 2010 12:37 PM

Sky-

Although rather slow, the FH-100 also does RAW and that may allow you to get NR out of the equation. Wouldn't that be nice. I will begin a search for FH-100 indoor photos to see what I can find.

Sarah Joyce

skylark Jun 19, 2010 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1109509)
Sky-

Although rather slow, the FH-100 also does RAW and that may allow you to get NR out of the equation. Wouldn't that be nice. I will begin a search for FH-100 indoor photos to see what I can find.

Sarah Joyce

Excellent point!
Sky

mtclimber Jun 22, 2010 4:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sky-

First the FH-100 at ISO 640 indoors with no flash.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber Jun 22, 2010 4:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sky-

Secondly, the FH-100 with flash using ISO 400.

Sarah Joyce

skylark Jun 22, 2010 6:32 PM

Wow Sarah, the picture quality at ISO 640 without flash looks good and the with flash at ISO 400 looks good as well. I don't see signs of noise reduction smearing. We would be very happy with either.

During your tests, if it's convenient could you take a flash photo from about 8 feet away with the subject's face small as if you were taking a group shot of, say 4 people? Then look at the face at 100% crop and see if there is noticeable noise reduction smearing or whether the skin looks like skin. I know it's pixel peeping but just to find out what the F100 is capable of, noise reduction wise.

Thanks,
Sky

mtclimber Jun 22, 2010 9:17 PM

Hi there, Sky-

Yes, I will be happy to do so. Today is garbage day, so I have my tasks cut out for me. Bradley is handicapped and unable to do that drill. So yes, I will get it done tomorrow (06/23) for you.

As you can see, I am fighting the allegation that the Casio FH-100 is just another Sony HX-5 and not worth considering. Nothing could be farther from the truth. There was indeed a reason that DPR chose the FH-100 over 12 other cameras. I think that we are seeing that is really is VERY different, and worthy of consideration.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce