Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:55 PM   #1

I just bought a Casio EX-Z850 (online -- I didn't receive it yet). I bought it mainly for it's video capability. My question is: how do you convert the videos to standard DVD (I believe DVDs use MPEG2)? What I want is to edit a few videoclips together, and record them to a DVD, that can be played on any DVD player (actually, I want to send the DVD to my parents in Europe, so it should be PAL I guess). Casio's FAQs stupidly says that you should connect the camera to a DVD recorder!
ahostmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2

Addition: I use a Windows XP PC (although next time I plan to buy a MAC for this kind of things). With respect to PAL, maybe it's possible to buy DVD players in Europe that can play PAL? So, the main question is how you convert the Casio MPEG4 video to a DVD compatible format and then record it on a DVD?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:53 AM   #3

This app is supposed to do it. Downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. Google it

MP4Cam2AVI_v2.27.zip

There is discussion on this subject and this file on the dpreview.com Casio forum

Also, the simple Video editing program that comes with 850 does it.

Mike
mikegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The discussion on dpreview is interesting. I didn't try out the converter yet. Actually I didn't even receive my camera yet. I just want to be ready for when I receive it. I then have 30 days where I can return it, and in that period I want to make sure it works for me (making acceptable video and acceptable pictures). It seems to me that the Z850 is the best compact compromize between video and pictures, but I'll see for myself when I receive it. Getting video out of it does not seem quite straightforward; many different programs and codecs to be downloaded separately.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5

Use Sonic DVD producer. Just drag and dropfiles but files cannot be edited. Converting mpeg4 to DVD is problematic because of different file formats.
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote