Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1

Okay, so I don't know if I'm supposed to be doing this but I work for the Casio Technical Support line and I figured I might as well give you answers to all the commons questions we get.

Lens Error: This has to be sent in for service. No matter what. What happened is the camera lense came out (probably when it was in your pocket) and a few of the gears skipped. Call the repair center directly at 800-706-2534 option 1.

Camera isn't recognized in computer: Casio cameras will only work in the back USB ports of your computer.

System Error: Has to be sent in for service. Call repair center at 800-706-2534 option 1.

Apple Computer Users: Don't use Photoloader if you're using anything above OS9, it won't work. Use iPhoto instead.

Memory Cards: Our cameras will only use SD, Panasonic, and Toshiba memory cards. All cameras will work with 2GB memory cards and check the website to see if there is a firmware update for your camera that allows you to use a 4GB. After purchasing a memory card you will need to format that card (Turn the camera on, press menu, go to set up, scroll down to format, click it, select format again, you should get a "busy please wait" screen, and then it will go back to normal.) We do NOT include memory cards with our cameras.

Photoloader: Understand that Photoloader isn't perhaps the most amazing software in the world. It's a very simple design program with some flaws so if you're more comftorable with another program feel free to use it. Bear in mind that at Casio Tech Support we're only allowed to discuss Photoloader so if you call us with a question on how use Windows softare, we can't help you.

Manuals: The only manuals with the cameras are on the cds. You can purchase one, or find them online. (Go to www.casio.com, select USA, support, manuals, and then digital cameras.

Date and Time: To have the date and time printed on your photos you'll need to turn the DPOF function on in the camera (this could be found in the menu area) and when you take your pictures to get printed, make sure you say you need the DPOF printer turned on. Most household printers don't have DPOF function.

Photohands: Very simple editing software that really does you no good.

A Final Note: Understand that if you do call Tech Support we are only human and are only allowed to do what Casio HQ tell us. We understand you're frustrated but so are we. We don't like to make you angry, it isn't pleasant for you our us.

If you have any other questions I'll check this pretty regulary so feel free to ask.
casiotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:07 AM   #2

I have a Casio Ex Z 850 and was wondering is there a panoramic mode? Thanks.
justdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:04 PM   #3

No, the EX-Z850 does not have a panoramic mode. If you wish to compare specs on the Exilim series go to www.exilim.casio.com
casiotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Memory Cards: Our cameras will only use SD, Panasonic, and Toshiba memory cards.
Say what?

Quote:
I have a Casio Ex Z 850 and was wondering is there a panoramic mode?
I had thought the manual mode would make up for not having a panorama mode on my Z750, but manual is so poorly designed it is nearly useless for anything but night photography. The main thing a panorama mode does for me is fix the exposure and WB with the first shot. I find the marks in the LCD useless for any viewfinder camera as I use the overlap in the optical finder.

I found that continuous mode fixes all the parameters with the first shot just like a panorama mode. The second shot comes a little fast on the Z750 because of the buffer, but after that the shot per second is just about perfect for panoramas. I find it the easiest camera I have used for panoramas now that I know to use continuous. I shoot a lot of 360 panoramas to make interactive files and continuous is especially good for that. The Z850 has a shot per second continuous mode as well.

Just like using a regular panorama mode you should pre-meter for what you consider the average lighting. Then recompose and just hold the shutter down as you pan in increments. I usually shoot panoramas with the long edge vertical.

An alternative is to just shoot your panoramas in snapshot mode and use more sophisticated stitching software like Autostitch to even out the WB and exposures and eliminate the stitch lines. I prefer to have the WB and exposure fixed for all the shots and use Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop to even out very wide exposures without stitch lines to deal with.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5
Administrator

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Memory Cards: Our cameras will only use SD, Panasonic, and Toshiba memory cards.
Say what?
This used to be somewhat common.

Panasonic, Sandisk and Toshiba (the developers of Secure Digital) are the main suppliers of components. When SD was introduced, most of the other cards were just using rebranded components from the "big 3".

Some cameras had problems with Secure Digital using Sandisk Components. For example, at one point, Konica Minolta had specific warnings that Sandisk 256MB Secure Digital Cards could cause some of their cameras to malfunction with errors.

So, your best bet was to use cards using Toshiba or Panasonic Components. In most cases, Lexar High Speed SD cards were also a safe bet (most of these used Panasonic Components, although some of their standard speed cards used the same components as Sandisk SD cards at one point). Simpletech SD cards iin 256MB or larger sizes used the same Components as Panasonic SD cards, too. So, they were usually a safe bet.

I used to warn people not to use Sandisk or Kingston cards, or other cards using the same components as Sandisk in some of the Konica Minolta models (G500, KD-510z, etc.) because they'd end up with corrupted media trying to use them in 256mb size, depending on the card generation they got from a supplier.

Apparently, It had something to do with an incompatibility between the cards and the controller chips being used in some devices. You had the same issues with some of the PDAs around (it was a good idea to avoid Sandisk media and any other brands using the same components). If you got one that had issues, Sandisk could replace it for you though.

But, the problems were corrected later, and Konica Minolta removed the specific warnings not to use Sandisk SD cards for these models (although they still didn't include the 256MB or larger Sandisk cards in their "tested cards list" for some models like my KD-510z). Most newer models work OK with them, though.

Given that most SD cards are just using rebranded components, some camera manufacturers only test cards from the "big 3" (Panasonic, Sandisk and Toshiba).

There is a utility available for some PDAs that will actually tell you the "real" component brand being used in SD Cards.

There are probably some brands that use other component types now, though. But, since card manufacturers often change component suppliers, it's hard to know what they're currently using in their cards.

You don't see as many problems with other media brands as you used to (and newer Sandisk cards are usually good now, too). So, I stopped giving people warnings not to use them in some cameras.

Personally, I still avoid most SD Card Brands (but, I still use a Konica KD-510z, too). lol I also avoid some card brands, regardless of media type.

For example, I wouldn't use Kingston cards if you gave them to me, CompactFlash or Secure Digital (since some of their Kingston Elite Pro CompactFlash cards are very slow in some Konica Minolta cameras, apparently due to a compatibility issue of some type, and I also shoot with a KM DSLR model).

But, most newer SD card brands are probably OK now in most cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Somebody needs to tell the people who write the Casio manuals. My Z750 manual says it uses SD or MMC cards – no brand specified. I think there is a caution that you can drop frames if you use MMC with best quality movies at 30fps. Probably the most common card you find used here and at dpreview are the Sandisk Ultra series. They don't seem to have particular problems.

SD is a type of card. Panasonic and Toshiba are brands. MMC is another type of card that will work in most devices that take SD and is specifically approved by Casio. There is no brand preference in my Casio manual and two different Sandisk cards have worked fine.

There is nothing wrong with expressing personal preferences. But when you say you are from Casio tech support and that "only" certain cards work you should be either representing Casio policy or be accurate. I don't think that statement is either.

Quote:
For example, I wouldn't use Kingston cards if you gave them to me, CompactFlash or Secure Digital (since some of their Kingston Elite Pro CompactFlash cards are very slow in some Konica Minolta cameras, apparently due to a compatibility issue of some type, and I also shoot with a KM DSLR model).
My experience was the opposite. When I bought my Minolta D7i I found a site where hundreds of owners had tested their cycle speeds with various cards. Some cards were extremely slow, but the Kingston cards were about the fastest. When I got my Kingston cards they tested exactly the same as the other Kingston reports and were up to three times as fast as some other CF cards – many from known brands. I think the Sandisk cards were the slowest in the test.

Those tests predate your DSLR and the Elite Pro wasn't out yet. I have no doubt your observation is accurate. I'm just pointing out that you really have to find data for specific cards in specific cameras rather than make generalizations.

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Administrator

Do a search for Elite Pro on some of the KM forums around. You'll find the tests. The standard Kingston cards are much faster in most KM models. lol There's some kind of compatiblity "glich" with most KM models and most Elite Pro cards, making them much slower than most cards in them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:13 PM   #8

@casiotech,

I bought this Exilim EX-Z850 and it was excellent but there one problem.. I tried SD/MMC card on the memory slot but it does display only card error sometimes after inserting the card then power on the lens will just retract. and it freeze.. nothing will happen even pressing again the power on/off switch.. Need to remove the memory and it work again.. I dont know if the problem is already on the card slot itself. Because the sd n mmc card is perfectly working using the card reader/writer.. I already do follow some instruction here .. format the memory card on FAT.. I thought it will work not because the startup menu came up and after few second blank on the lcd screen.. the camera display a card error.. switch off and on again the camera no longer display anything except with power on lens retracted.. By the way i use the bnew sandisk 512mb ultra ii sd card.. This camera is great my problem is limited on picture shot because i only used the internal memory.. other than that the camera is perfectly amazing.. Hope any one can tell me.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:32 AM   #9

hazelnut: since you left it open to "any one" I'll give it a try as you haven't gotten any answers yet from the tech guy.

It seems that sometimes you have a brief availability of the menu. If you can get the card to format in the camera it might solve the problem.

If you can't do that go to a store that sells the camera and see if they will let you try your card in one of their cameras. If it works format it. If it still doesn't work in your camera you probably have to return it for service. If the card doesn't work in the store camera you probably got a bad card.

Many people use the Ultra II in that camera so there is not a compatibility problem. There might be a fault in the card even though your card reader will read a blank card.

If your computer is showing no folders on the card you could try putting the DCIM folder back. In Windows Explorer select your Removable Drive. File > New > Folder and name the new folder DCIM. I'm a little reluctant to try that on my card after a Windows FAT format. It won't hurt anything to try it since you have already done the Windows format. I know the camera will add the "100CASIO" folder with the first photo if the DCIM folder is on the camera.

Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:21 PM   #10

casiotech wrote:
Quote:

If you have any other questions I'll check this pretty regulary so feel free to ask.

I'm considering the Z850.

Can I use a Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB SD card? The Sandisk Product Compatibility page says, "SDHC compatible using Firmware update. Check with device manufacturer."

Can I force Flash = ON when I'm in Autofocus mode?

abredt is offline   Reply With Quote