Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:09 AM   #1

Is it true that the new CASIO S770 as no zoom in video mode ?

In S600 there was a zoom in video mode but no autofocus while zooming.. how can casio publisha camera that do a great movie cupture mode without the zoom option ?
yoooos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:19 AM   #2

The EX-S770 uses digital zoom in video mode. This is not great but better than nothing.

Actually I had to try this just because of your question. I have never used zoom while taking a video clip, so this limitation doesn't bother me.

(IMHO most people spoil their videos by zooming around too much anyway. Watch a couple of Hollywood movies and you will be surprised how seldom the professionals use it.)
ex-spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:29 AM   #3

Thanks ex-spex,

As im starting to think of the digital zoom insted of optical zoom... the s770 has 7Mpixelsand the movie mode is using only 0.5M pixels. so if zooming in - the camera have enough data tokeep the qualityvideo just like it was if it was a optical zoom.

is that correct ?

yoooos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:04 AM   #4

I just made a few tests to verify your assumption, but unfortunately the answer is no - it doesn't work that way.

When zooming in, the center part of the image is enlarged, but without gaining any detail. Instead the noise is amplified significantly.

The conclusion is that the digital zoom in video mode is completely unusable. :sad:
ex-spex is offline   Reply With Quote