Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:03 PM   #1

Hello to all,

I own a QVR51 for 2-3 years with very good service from the cam.

Today I had a (unpleasant) surprise, the camera took a lousy photos.

Although the scenes in LCD are as usual, the pics that are recorded has strange horizontal lines as you can see in the pic attached.

Someone know if this is a problem of the CCD, humidity, or else??

Thanks for any info,

Alves
Attached Images

jalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:11 PM   #2

Any body are aware of a similar problem with any other brand of digital cameras??

IS it only mine that have this type of problem??

Any body??

Thanks

jalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3

I have a similar problem with my QV-R51, just talked with the service center a few minutes ago and they said my unit needs lens replacement :shock:

What's worse is they're charging me the same amount I paid for the camera itself, like WTF... Aside from the grief I had with the service center, trying to follow-up on the status of my camera for a week, then they just give me this lame diagnosis that the lens are damaged. I can still use the movie function of the camera just fine so I have a feeling that the lens are still ok. I think they're just trying to weasel out on making a thorough diagnosis of my unit since the warranty has already expired.

I will email customer support in Asia and tell them about my dilemma. But if somebody here experienced the same problem and knows how much it will cost to have it fixed, please inform us. Thanks!
dayamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Administrator

The image problem I see in this photo is likely a defective CCD. This type of image is very common with a defective sensor.

Try different batteries just to make sure it's not voltage related. But, it looks like a bad sensor to my eyes.

AFAIK, your model uses a Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD (as do most other camera brands that use a sensor with it's specs), and a number of camera manufacturers are repairing their cameras with this problem at no charge.

The impacted sensors were manufactured from 2002 to 2004, with the fix to the problem coming around March 2004 during the CCD manufacturing process (and your model started shipping in January 2004, before the CCD manufacturing issues were corrected by Sony).

See this story about it:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Unfortunately, unless I missed it, I've seen no announcements from Casio indicating that they're doing the same thing as some of the other manufacturers. So, it appears (at least on the surface) that they're "burying their head in the sand" over this issue (if my assumption that it's a Sony 5MP CCD is correct, and I have no reason to suspect otherwise).

Personally, I'd argue with Casio over it if they refuse to fix it at no charge. Let us know what the outcome is.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:48 AM   #5

Thank you very much for this wonderful piece of information

Good thing I delayed my email to Casio Asia for a few days, will definitely mention this to them. Thanks again!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:27 AM   #6

Well, I finally aired my sentiments to the folks at Casio Asia regarding the CCD problem and guess what, I got the brush off :roll:

My email:
I recently brought my Casio QV-R51 to Compex Sales, Inc. due to a problem with the captured images having strange horizontal lines. After a week of following up on the status of my unit, they finally got back to me and said my unit needs lens replacement.

I strongly believe that this is not the problem of my unit so I did some research regarding this. Fortunately a friend pointed out this website:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Their response:
Dear customer

Thank you for your e-mail and we regret for the inconvenience caused at your end.

Regarding your inquiry, we would like you to understand that this model does not correspond to the symptom stipulated in the site you kindly wrote in your e-mail to us.

When it comes to the concrete problem as well as its information, we would appreciate it if you will kindly communicate with the place you actually asked to follow up the status of your unit as we are not the party that did it.

Please do not hesitate to communicate with us in case necessary

And that's that. Unless I can prove that this unit indeed has a "Sony CCD" chip inside, I won't be breaking any ground in this little fiasco. Shoot.

Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:17 PM   #7

Hmmm, I've read through this whole thread with interest as my still shots have suddenly started looking the same. They seem to be overexposed and have grainy horizontal lines that are more prononced in the lowerright quadrant. In the top left quadrant the problem seems to become just too much light.

But my movie clips are fine.

How can this be a lens, or CCD or battery problem if the movies are fine?

Have not contacted Casio, yet, not looking forward to it.
Longblades is offline   Reply With Quote