Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:44 PM   #1

I'm considering a Casio, (maybe the Z-850) but I'm concerned about how to download photos from the camera to a PC. I see that it comes with a dock.

Do I have to use the dock or can I just transfer photos to aPC using a USB cable? I'm running XP on my PC.

Do I have to have some kind of special Casio software on the PC? If so, that's a problem if I'm visiting and they don't have the software on their XP computer.

Thanks.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:26 PM   #2

first choice , use credle

second choice , take off SD card and use it with card reader

JohnKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:47 PM   #3

Does the cradle attach to the PC using a USB connector? Does it need special software or can I use Windows Explorer?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:45 AM   #4

abredt wrote:
Quote:
Does the cradle attach to the PC using a USB connector?
yes it does

Quote:
Does it need special software or can I use Windows Explorer?

Thanks for your reply.
in Win98 machine it need to install driver , in WinXP,2000 no driver required

there are some software such as image viewing,editing bundle in package

but not nessessary if you already have these kind of program on your machine.

JohnKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:09 AM   #5

So I can just move the photo files into a folder on my desktop using Windows Explorer?

Sorry to ask so many times, but it's an important thing for me.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:31 AM   #6

XP will install the camera when you select the button on the cradle that connects the camera to the computer for the first time. It will show as a drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer and you can copy the images to any folder on your computer.

You can also write stuff back to the card. Just for fun I uploaded a large folder full of programs to the card and installed one small program on the computer directly from the camera. The camera really becomes just another drive on the computer.

I've had several cameras and thought I wouldn't be too crazy about the cradle as none of my others have had it. I was wrong – it is a nice feature. The first thing you usually do after using the camera is put it in the cradle to download the photos. If you remember to push the button to end the connection it starts charging. You never forget to charge the battery and you never have to remove the battery.

I have a card reader on my computer and don't use it for the Casio. Transfer is pretty fast and the cradle is much more convenient. The card has been out of the camera only once and that was to test a slower card for camera performance. The battery has never been out of the camera. I have a Z750 that is almost two years old.

People complain about the cradle for travel. The cradle is at least as small and light as my Maha charger for NiMH batteries and no larger than my Panasonic charger. I don't see the big complaint. It is at least as easy to carry as any other charger I have and you don't have to remove the battery. You can unplug the USB from the cradle when you use it as a travel charger.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7

abredt wrote:
Quote:
So I can just move the photo files into a folder on my desktop using Windows Explorer?
Yes, you can. It is in fact that simple.
ex-spex is offline   Reply With Quote