Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:34 PM   #11

You're welcome. It is a valuable accessory, but, like most add-on accessories, if we knew then what we know now, we would have purchased a camera with a stronger flash. The extra cost of the camera with the strongerflashwould probably have been less than the $179 (Can) for this slave, and there would beno mental effort figuring out different modes, adjustments, etc. I notice this week, forexample,that Canon XT''s are on sale for only$729 Canadian. I'm guessing they would be near the $600 mark on the U.S market now.When I add the priceI paidfor my camera (at that time) and the flash now,the totalis only around70 bucks less than the outstanding DSLR Canon XT.I bought the EX-Z750, of course, with the advantage of being able to carry it inmy pocket, which was important to me. In fact, even with the Metz 28-CS2 attached, I can still zipthe assemblyin an outside pocket of my winter coat. Also I don't have a camcorder, so the good quaility video capability in the same package is paramount to me. I purchased the flash mainly because I maintain a web page for a church and I often need to take pictures of groups of people which almost always come out dark and/or blurred. Here are some comparison pictures I took tonight with all the lights on in the church.

First with just the camera flash

Attached Images

ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:38 PM   #12

Most of the light is coming from the incandescent lights in the church but the flash helped avoided blur that resulted without it. I found that, for some reason, the Metz did not seem to fire on Easy Mode (perhaps because of the lack of reflectivity of the wall panels.) I won't insertthat shot because it didn't look much difference. In this scenario I got my best shots on Auto or Manual. Here is the resultwith theflash set to Auto.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:44 PM   #13

Here is the result with the Flash set to Manual. I am not sure why the variation occurred. It goes to show, though, that there are some inconsistenciesthat some time and practice may be needed tofigure out.In fairness I should add that the flash battery strength was lessening so that may have been a factor. Also I was coming infrom a minus 10 degreeevening into an unheated building which may have killed the flash. I have sent emails to Casio and to Metz Technical support requesting additional technical information. I will post any information I get.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:03 PM   #14

I have found that the Metz 28 CS-2 slavecan also be used with the EX-Z750 camerain bright light situations to reduce glare from the sun and to provide fill. I took a few quick snaps of my grandson sitting sideways to a bright sunny window in a MacDonald's Resaurant. The first sample was taken without any flash at atll
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:05 PM   #15

As you can see, the camera exposes for the center of the image which leaves the left side of his facewashed out by the sun, while the right side is almost completely dark. The use of the built-in camera flash only reduced the problem slightly as is this image:
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:12 PM   #16

This image was taken with flash and slave.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:18 PM   #17

I thought it was pretty amazing that the addition of the slave light got rid of eventhe very strong light area on the left. It's a bit overexposed which can be adjusted a little in photoshop to give a final image which is fairly acceptable, I think,for acamera no larger than a deck of cards.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:17 PM   #18

I am also planning to buy the Metz 28CS-2 or the Metz 34CS-2. The Metz 28CS-2 comes with a bracket. Is that by any chance removable? I already have a folding bracket that's why I asked. In a social gathering I am too scared to let somebody use my S600 because they might drop it. So I just mount it on a bracket. The MEtz 28CS-2 is perfect for my purpose. Thanks.
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:02 AM   #19

Hello,

Thereare differences with the 34 CS-2 which I guess you're aware of. It is slightly more powerful andit has a hot shoe as well as a sync cord to plug in to cameras that have this feature. As you say, it would need a bracket to attach it tocameras without flash shoes. I understand that it has the same slave modes as the 28 CS-2 but I would get confirmation onfull compatibilty with your S600 before I would buy it. The bracket on the 28 CS-2 is the only means of attaching the flash to the camera. It is one of the weak features as the hinge seems a bit fragile and is a bit wobbly. I usually attach the flash so that the EX-Z750 is in contact the the flash. You may want to query them on the form below to make sure thatyour S600 is compatible.It is similar to the EX-Z750 except it is thinner. I knowthe P600 is deemed to be compatible on the Metz global site. It seems to me that you would be paying extra for the hot shoe and pc sync cord that you would have no use for on the card camera. I know what you mean by people dropping your camera. With the flash attached the extra weight of the assembly increases the risk of damage when dropped. I have dropped my camera in a case a couple of times, but only in the woods where the ground is soft.

On another note, I got a reply from Casio about the technical details of the flash. All I got were some page referencesto their manual which state that there ARE preflashes. I guess if they wanted advanced technical information to be out there they would put it on their web site. I have not received even an acknowledgement to my enquireyto Metz yet.

http://www.metz.de/en/unternehmen/ko...lar.123-1.html

Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:41 PM   #20

Thanks for your info. Metz 28CS-2 is a great flash because of its ability to learn each individual camera that you use with it. I already have a flash but a bit huge. I need a small compact flash that I can put in myjacket pocket instead of putting it inside my wife's handbag which she intentionally leaves behind because of its size. I always use a flash when theroom becomes too dark for the built-in flash to handle.
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote