Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:55 AM   #1

While we have a nice Sony video we never use it.I have a Pan FZ-20, KM 5-D, and bought my 15 yr old daughter a Casio Z-850 for Christmas with the extras from Tech Toys.

The Casio is so amazing that now my wife wants one to video the grandson. Tech Toys do not show the 850 anymore with their great deals. They do have the Z-70, 700, 1000, and S-770.

Good video is what she wants. She is a not photgraphy inclined and terrible with gadgets. The TV flipper is beyond her abilitiy.

Your help will be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I can't understand why the Casio whips the KM-5D and Panasonic in so many ways. Its photos are excellent and I have some pretty good KM lenses. In fact, we are going to have a shoot-out one of these days and I expect she will win.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:59 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with what you are getting in addition to the camera at Tech Toys, but the Z850 is still available from some online retailers.

The S770 is probably your best choice for movies of the ones you listed. The others don't really have MPEG4. I've seen some claims they do, but not from Casio and the movies aren't 0.5 Mb/sec. You also don't get the past movie mode that comes only on the Casios with true MPEG4.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:50 PM   #3

Hi, Slipe,

Other goodies being a 2 gig card, extra battery, very good Casio case and a hard clear LCD cover which bent the first time she pulled the camera out of its case.

Forget the ones I mentioned, besides the S770 what is or was the best MPEG-4 Casio of the line?

Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:18 AM   #4

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Forget the ones I mentioned, besides the S770 what is or was the best MPEG-4 Casio of the line?
MPEG-4 is supported by the EX-Z750, EX-Z850, EX-S600, and EX-S770.

I own a EX-S770 and I like it a lot. The video quality is very satisfactory. However, you should be aware that the optical zoom is disabled while recording video, and the digital zoom gives horrible results. I guess this is true for all these cameras. Simply don't use the zoom, and everything is fine.

Casio just announced the new EX-V7 with 7x optical zoom which also operates during recording. And this camera apparently uses an even better codec, H.264 aka AVC which is what is used for HDTV. You may want to wait for this model to become available before you buy.
ex-spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:00 AM   #5

Hello ;-)

Maybe my pageof "result of research" couldhelp you because I'm looking exactely for the same things:

GOOD VIDEO with OPTICAL ZOOM ... in a small numeric camera.

If possible with the brand new and very effectiv codec H.264 ?
Have a look at my review ;-)

--> http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html

PS: Sorry for my approximativ english... (I speak french, my website is in french too)

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:05 AM   #6

Thanks to all who replied...

Adorama had a couple demo Z-750s at $204 so I got her one.