Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:49 PM   #1

I held off buying the Casio EX-V8 until the positive review by Steve's Digicams. Just got it yesterday fortotal of 259.68 from TechToysForLess.com found by PriceGrabber. Ordered an 8gig SD card from ADORAMA for 50 bucks with rebate. Also got 2 spare aftermarket batteries from Adorama for 20 bucks each. All arrived within a week.

What particularly interested me about theCasio EX-V8 is the stereo audio and the H.264 widescreen video. It does not disappoint !!.The videofills up the wide screen of a Panasonic plasma nicely and the audio is stereo and clear. The video looks like DV tape and I see no obvious jaggies or motion smear. I am amazed that such atiny camera can do such great video. I am a big fan ofDivx. My daughters camerais a Pentax that takes Divx movies. There is no comparison with the Casio EXV8. The EXV8 is so good that I will not be taking my tape DVvideo camera with me anymore.The 8gig SD card can hold about 120 minutes of stereovideo in the highest quality WIDE mode. Just perfect. When the 16gig SD cards get cheap, it might be NIRVANA.

As far as the still picture quality...well....itseems to be as good or better than my old 4gig Pentax. Iread some other reviews on the web that trashed the Casio EX-V8 but at this point I just do not know what they are talking about. I love everything about it...including the sound quality. True, the video is not HD quality.What isso compelling about the device is the remarkable technologythat issqueezed into such a small package....meaning that you are more likely to have it with you and more likely to use it.

In the future, I hope that Casio will improve the product by adding WIFI. Also, Casio does not include an independent battery charger with the camera; onecan onlyrecharge a battery by putting it into the camera andsetting the camera in its cradle. No sort of protective case is included either.

So....if you are like me and hope that eventually ALL DEVICES will be packed into a tiny cell phone....the CASIO EX-V8 will do until that magic cell phone arrives. Then we will wait for the nose ring cell phone with camera/video/GPS/toaster and BRAIN-FI that allows us to just THINK what function we want it to do...cheers...
LarryASilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:08 AM   #2
gcy

any chance of posing some sample vids/pics? I read very bad reviews on the V7.
gcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:25 AM   #3

Yes. I read some of those same bad reviews and held off buying till I read the review on this website. Should be a nice sunny day tomorrow so will try to get a 5 second clip in the highest wide screen quality as well as a few stills. Stay tuned.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4
gcy

just noticed that it records video at 848 x 480!:O If thats true, adding in the 7x zoom for video as well as pics, this camera is so tempting! The "sample videos" on casio's site seems too good to be ture. Vids are crystal clear indoor, no visual video noise at all, etc... But you can never tell if the vids are legit or bull crap.

Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:58 AM   #5

I am very impressed by this camera. The wide mode movie at the best quaility is just unreal for such a little camera with a little lens. You can use the zoom while recording a movie....there is no mechanical ZOOM sound artifact.....but ya gotta be careful not to shake too much as the camera is so light and tiny. Now that I have had a little time to play with it...the only problem is the shakes associated with such a little light weight device. Most of the time, the movie mage is comparable to my normal DV tape camera when the sun is out. Where one sees a difference is say, for example, video taping while walking. Something just gets lost in the translation....the little H.264 compression engine finds it real hard to keep up with the jiggling. The image is okay and viewable but keeping that dang little camera reasonably still is a problem that future software folks might be able to calm down. But the point is...the camera is SO SMALL that you are more likely to have it with you and therefore more likey to capture that special moment. Just don't try jogging while videoing...

As far as low light goes....the movie image gets real grainy in very low light but it is still viewable and the audio is crystal clear. One could argue that the sureal graininess might even add a little mystery to the memory.....but AT LEAST you have SOMETHING to remember because the little camera just happened to be handy. I am capturing more memories just because the little camera is there....

I will try to post some good light and low light video soon in the highest quality. Obviously, its gotta be pretty short !
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:10 AM   #6
gcy

, I tend to shoot a lot of my vids walking or moving around though.

If u could post a sample vid while walking, that'll be awesome!
Also be sure not to edit the video whatsoever. Just upload it to megaupload or any file hosting site but not on youtube or such.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:11 PM   #7

Man, i have been so tempted to get this camera JUST for the video. However being in australia I will have to get it from overseas and all the hassle and stuff so i want to be sure its good before i get it.

I totally agree with you on the small compact thing! I want a video camera to take video, but how often am I going to bring it with me? This camera would be able to fit in my pocket so i would have it everywhere.

I know its a lot to ask, but if you could post low light samples (like how u said it goes grainy) and some good lighting and some movement and zooming and jogging it would be AWESOME and be greatly appreciated.
Sleepysonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 5:32 PM   #8

I am most sure there is no change in a EX-V7 just 1 meg, and youtube settings.

I have loaded up in megaupload two cameras of a video in the house.

hope it helps out. 720P H264 of casio vz aiptek, there is quite a difference if you ask me?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QA0VLWKFcasio 1 min EX-V7

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HXPCPZQKaiptek GO

my opinion I needed time to get used to the casio, and still need to refresh.

there is not one review anywhere that wil say on onecamera that it is a perfect camera, one will always find somethingto pick on.

I believe I madea film at night and was very happy with it b/c everything was like daytime to me.

http://youtube.com/my_playlists?p=B9...996&page=2

the above link is of casio yes its youtube.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=G9XH5XEE

last link is of three different vids enjoy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 8:37 PM   #9
gcy

Fishy, I know this camera(the V7) takes excellent videos and average stills but did you ever had the "Camera stabilization not available" problem? A bunch of people on amazon complained about this. I'm leaning on getting the v8 mainly for video purposes but if the v7 is almost the same, I might just get this instead. I'm sure the lens are exactly the same for both cameras?

Also hows the video quality when one is in motion? Like shooting while watching? Is the video shaky? Since the lens is internal, I'm pretty sure the camera is pretty sentative to motion and movement.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:07 PM   #10
gcy

From your vids, The Casio is surpisingly bad in low light. The casio has WAY too much video noise while the aiptek looks all fuzzy, soft, and in a scent washed out looking. I don't know how much lighting there are but I'm very dissappointed at the video quality of the casio. Make me want to reconsider. :O