Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:22 PM   #1

Casio introduces the Exilim Pro EX-F1 high definition (1080i/720p) high definition $999 hybrid camera:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/49...pro-ex-f1.html

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:30 PM   #2

http://www.casio.com/news/content/7A...-F29FCB99A6B8/

Official casio press release.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:28 AM   #3

the topic was moved, the camera is not 99.99 it is 999.99. fits hissection thanks for posting
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:39 AM   #4

I typed $999, but this forum's software apparently cuts off text if the topic description exceeds a certain number of characters.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:35 PM   #5

Interesting camera. But is DOA for me....12X zoom, but *no* IS. Ugh....

Mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6

It does have IS

12x zoom with anti shake

CMOS shift anti-shake makes it possible to shoot beautiful, blur-free images, even when shooting at 12X zoom. Now you can move in on faraway subjects for intimate, natural looking close-ups without worrying about image blur.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:00 PM   #7

It also has an external microphone input and a hot shoe that will take a microphone and other accessories.

This would seem to be a game-changing camera.

You would think more journalists would be writing about this.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:20 AM   #8

There are an couple places where this camera falls. In 720p we have neither 25p or 50p mode. Though both would be good for Standard definition conversion in PAL countries, 50p is most preferable for conversion to most professional formats, and improves quality by making better use of data-rate. Professionally, 720p50/60 is probably the immediate future. I would even prefer to have 1080p50 as well.

I would like to know what data-rate they plan to use for video, anything below 24mb/s AVC, or preferably 100Mb/s avc-intra, is an bit low.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:56 AM   #9

Found some new information. The camera has some great new features, just reading through the modes section below so far.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...view-17027.htm

March Japan. later US.

http://popsci.typepad.com/popsci/200...inny-on-c.html

Issues:

Limited DOF, small sensor.

All is not fine though, I made an mistake, I was thinking 1 1/8 inch sensor, which would be excellent, but it has an 1/1.8 sensor with an high aperture number. Unless I attached an DOF adaptor, the DOF will not be the best.

Burst time too limited to obtain lengthy action at hi-resolution (which needs to be able to be used while in movie mode, if it is not already).

It looks like there is no opportunity to feed burst mode onto an storage card, it is limited to what can fit in the frame buffer. It would be good if you could adjust compression quality, resolution and frame rate to get more into the buffer, even onto card, or USB stick. I think some flash storage solutions do above 20MB/s (even 50MB/s) and double 20MB/s cards would give 40MB/s. It would be good if they could get 720p60-120p burst onto card/USB with sound at 20MB/s+. It is an shame h264 does not be made to do 720p50-100 in movie mode either.

If they only had an trap door on it for an user upgradeable laptop memory module, I could put an 1GB+ stick into this sucker.

More importantly, it lacks high quality p50/60 movie modes for sports/action shooting.

With the lack of 1080/720 p50/60 video modes (for sports and quality format conversion) with quality compression (50%+ over the data-rate in consumer cameras) small sensor, and limited burst, this is more like an $500 camera too me.

If they could add quality compressed p50/60 HD movie modes, I think I would be sold, depending if I could get live monitoring via the HDMI.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:59 AM   #10

$999 for a small-sensor EVF camera is stretching it a little if you ask me, I don't care how fast it's burst rate is. Had this camera been available when I bought my Fuji S9100, I wouldn't even have considered it - you can get some pretty decent entry-level DSLRs for that kind of scratch.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote