Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Overall it's a very good camera for it's price, very stylish and something you can wow your friends with If you want something of consistent quality photos you can go for something else, but keep in mind that the most similar product to this I think is the IXUS 400, which is considerably more expensive.
Im gonna have to disagree. I went out drinking last night, and all the pics I took look great ;-)
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:38 AM   #12

Hehe, don't get me wrong, I love my new camera to bits!
I'm not an experienced digicam user, (2weeks old) so I'll still be making mistakes and asking a lot of questions.
Quintessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:49 AM   #13

you are in exactly the same boat as me then I was just impressed that my drunken pictures came out ok
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:28 AM   #14

Default QV-R40 Help

QV-R40 Help :!:

I am also at the point of buying a casio QV-R40, with a 128SD on the internet as my first digicam.

I have the following doubts:

1. All my relatives have Minoltas
2. I have been recommended the Fuji F410 in the shops
3. What Digital Camera mag recommends the Minolta F200 and calls the Casio 'ordinary', giving it only 82%.
4. I like to take portraits with a small depth of field - not sure if possible with this camera
5. AA batteries, with no charger provided
6. Casio reliability

However, I fancy this camera for its fairly good quality pics, looks, ergonomics, relatively good reviews, point and shoot, speed and price. Forums and reviews have also highlighted problems with the Minolta F200 (e.g slow, poor battery life and poor lens durability) and Fuji F410 (e.g grain and poor distance shots)

I will probably buy this camera anyway, but 200+ is a lot of money to spend on the wrong camera! Any thoughts anyone :?:
samdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:23 AM   #15

Default Re: QV-R40 Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdeath
5. AA batteries, with no charger provided
6. Casio reliability
This is good, not bad.

5. AA Ni-MH offer much the best value and least complication in power sources at present, and you can buy many cheap & excellent batteries & chargers;

6. I have many Casio-branded electronic products (calculators, watches, keyboards, synthesisers) acquired over many years, and they're all still working, remarkably. I hope very much that my digicam (QV-5700) has similar longevity.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:29 AM   #16

IMO - go for the casio - I was going to get a minolta F300 - 5mp, much better, but then it struck me that I am going to want to get something a lot better in a year or so when I have got more experience with digital cameras and I dont want to have two good ones, bit of a waste of money really!

I don't know where you are (geographically), but my QV-R40 came with 2x AA NiMH batteries - which are far better and a LOT cheaper than proprietry ones - and also a charger. To the best of my knowledge the charger should always be included on this model.

It is also built like a brick sh*t house. And excellent value for money. When looking at the Minolta F300 (same ergonomics etc as F300) I thought it was slightly too big to be truly pocketable.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:30 AM   #17

Also - if you buy from a well known store then usually you can return the product within a few days if you really don't like it.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:42 PM   #18

I bought one today. PC World and Currys (same thing) both offering this at 169 on Boxing Day. Dixons are offering same at 219 with 128MB card and case.

First impressions good - nice feel, VERY quick to start up, commands intuitive - set up region, time and date etc immediately without referral to manual.

A few words of warning however.......

I thought it came with a 16MB card. IT DOESN'T. It has 10MB internal memory only. I had to go back to shop later and buy memory.

While waiting for the supplied NiMh batteries to charge, I used some standard alkaline AAs to have a play. They were flat after just 48 shots.

Can't comment on picture quality yet because I cannot get my PC to recognise the camera

I hoped my existing Olypmus Camedia, or Photosuite software would let me download images, but no. I'd read that the software that comes with the camera was crap, so wasn't going to install it at all. But after my existing programmes didn't work, I installed all the software that came with the camera, but even then, my PC just fails to see that a camera is connected. I'm not totally stupid - I've been using digital cameras for two years now and generally know what I'm doing, so this is very frustrating at the moment.

Anybody else had these problems? Or can anyone advise please?

(I'm in UK)
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 4:41 PM   #19

Sorry - I've solved it now. In depth reading of the "read me" files found the problem. I'm using Windows ME by the way.

I made the mistake of plugging in the USB cable before installing the software. (I wanted to use my existing software if I could) the PC then registers the camera as an unknown device - and won't accept images from it later when you do have the right software on the machine.

I had to go into settings / system devices and remove "other devices", then re-install the Casio software and try again. Works OK now.

It's early days, but I'm a little concerned about the quality of the photos. Yes, I used the camera straight from the box, and it was a grey miserable afternoon today - but the snaps seem poor. (I'm comparing them to ones taken on an older, bulkier Olympus C-3000 zoom, 3.1 Mega Pixel model)

There's a lot of blur / subject movement / camera shake - not something I'm normally guilty of. The images are also grainy and not very sharp. I've looked at the properties of the photos taken, and in most cases (set totally on automatic), the camera has chosen to use an aperture of F2.8 all the time (hence relaltvely poor depth of field), AND also a slow shuuter speed of 1/50 or 1/80 virtually all the time. (explaining the blurred images of kids on swings, and sections out of focus) These are things one may expect on a dull day perhaps, but the ISO setting has remained at 80-100, when theoretically it can be extended to 320 - automatically. Why didn't it use a higher ISO setting? This greater speed is one reason why I chose this camera (the older Olympus goes to ISO 400, but many of these tiny compact jobbies only have 100-200)

I'm fairly convinced the old Olympus performs better in conditions like this (ie "normal for UK").

There are lots of overides to explore yet, and I can no doubt programme it to use higher sensitivity settings, so there is hope yet. I just hoped for better performance straight out of the box.

I've read excellent reports of this camera elsewhere, so I just hope I'm doing something wrong, and it will all work out OK in the end. I have read every page of the manual by the way.
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:11 AM   #20

I did not have any problems like this using my QV-R40 straight out of the box so I'm not sure what is happening in your case. Low light images can look a bit grainy I know, but I have never had a problem with any outdoor shots.