Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:12 AM   #31

No, the Canon S400 (IXUS 400 here) doesn't power up as quickly as the Casio, although it is still plenty fast enough. And it doesn't take AA batteries which is a minus point.

The rechargeable lithium Ion battery has pretty good life through, and a second battery from Amazon didn't cost too much.

The main thing is, I'm happy with the picture quality.

Oh, and it does have continuous shooting which is only a minor thing, but it's useful. The movie length is 3 minutes, with sound - and you can attach sound clips to your shots which is quite handy to record names and places etc.
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:26 PM   #32

Hi, all, I;m new here, but found this thread interesting. I bought this Camera (Casio QV-R40) in Jan 2004 for $189 on Ebay and I just sold it.

It had many strong points and I would agree wtih most of what Quintessence said on Page 1 of this thead.

However, as some people above said the noise/fuziness levels were just atrocious - even in condition that you'd expect a nice simple picture. So, cheap as the thing was, I got rid of it about a week ago.

Yesterday I was reading another mesage board and someone there suggested that the noise was realted to over-agressive sharpenign algorithim in the cameras firmware. So in theory, if you were to maybe manually tune down the shapening on this camera you might get good pictures.

I don't know it that theory is true but as it was it was, the QV-R40 was simply unacceptable to me. Good for E-bay pictures but not much else.

That was my main problem with it though. In all most other aspects it was a well-designed and well-made camera. But still image quality is the first mission of a Camera - if it cant do that, decently, then whats the point.

There is a new model out now ( QV-R41) which may be better, but I havent seen any pics from it. T
skagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:44 AM   #33

hello,

I'm also interested in buying the Casio qvp-r40. How good is the flash of this camera? Can you make good dark indoor/outdoor shots at the dark.

e.g. on sylvester
klumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 8:04 AM   #34

The flash of the QV-R40 is superb - strong and lights up the room VERY well. In fact, you have to actually remember to change the flash to "weaK" for anything close up. Its far better than the wimpy flash on most compact digicams.

However, like I said this camera has a major noise problem with the images. And if the fash comes on in the Auto-settings then its linked with a bump up of the ISO - ie even more noise in the image.

But its all about pluses and minues. Lousy picture, but you'll get your shot in a dark room that you may not have got lit up clearly with another camera.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:57 AM   #35

does the camera makes a sound if you take a shot?

Some camera do this. If so can you disable the sound?
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:24 AM   #36

Mine didn't make any sound. There might have been a sound effect that you can turn on or off.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:30 PM   #37

some people say, that the image quality of the casio is worser than a canon. Can you see this as a beginner.

do you have some test images between the casio and another camera?
you can sent it to

maybe your casio digicam was damaged, so there was so much noise in your pictures.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumy
some people say, that the image quality of the casio is worser than a canon. Can you see this as a beginner.

do you have some test images between the casio and another camera?
You can see a head-to-head comparison of QV-R40 images and other cameras at www.akamera.no. There are also many sample images at pbase.com
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:48 AM   #39

thanks skagen,

today I have take my order for the Casio QVP-R40. I hope it was a good buy
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:22 AM   #40

Now I have tested the camera. I can confirm that the cam produce noise, especially if it'S too dark. The image quality will be dramatically improved, if you always use the spotlight if you take indoor shots. outdoorshots are not affected with the noise.

but as beginner I'm happy with my buy