Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Sep 12, 2003, 5:21 PM   #1

Default Casio QV-R40

hi all,
I am thinking to buy the Casio QV-R40. does some one have any opinion on that camera?
fooloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2

Default I don't think it's available yet.

Or maybe it hasn't been out long. If I remember correctly, it's supposed to come out late Sept. I'm awaiting comments on it as well.
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:03 PM   #3

Default Thinking of buying one too

I'm thinking of buying one too & would love to hear feedback from anyone who has one.

I really like how tiny it is & that it is a 4 mega-pixel.
Lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:35 AM   #4

Hi,

I bought one on saturday from Dixons (UK) - they had a sale...100 off, so I got it for 249.99 -am very impressed with results, I have not even started playing with any of the best shot modes, or manual controls yet, just point and click and it all looks good. The macro is fantastic. If anyone wants any sample images let me know and I will send them over.

This is my first digi cam - but having seen many others I have an idea about ergonomics, I would say the casio is pretty damn good. As I said though, its my first cam. Let me know what kind of feedback you want and I shall reply (I dont want to waste either of our times by sending you info that means nothing or you already know).
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:00 PM   #5

Default Picture Gallery

I've found a picture gallery that is quite useful
http://galleriet.akamera.no/albuq07

This one compares the Casio R40, Sony P72 & Canon A70
http://galleriet.akamera.no/albup83?&page=1
Lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:45 PM   #6

Default Casio QV R40

I am looking at Canon A70, A80 a few others. I saw this Casio in a WallMart today on a price reduction to $298 (forget the amount of the markdown). It looks very nice but I noticed it has no sound on the short videos (30 sec limit). Most likely the Canon outperforms this Casio but it would be nice to know more. -- Don
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:47 PM   #7

Regarding post by Lids referencing a comparison of the three cameras, I studied them for awhile. I see CA in some of the QVR40 shots, very helpful to know that. We don't know how much they have been compressed for upload to website, so how do we compare the sharpness from one to another. The P72 comes out looking good in these shots. QVR40 edge sharpness might be in question. Also, this is comparing a 4m cam to 2 3m cameras. Don F.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:48 PM   #8

for what its worth....who cares if the casio has sound on video clips or not? if you want to make a film then get a digital video camera (this is the opinion i took when I bought a digital cam). They should be treated as separate entities. If you would like some sample shots from the QV-R40 then email me on [email protected] - I just bought a QV-R40 and personally I thoght its snapshots were far superior to the Canon A70....fair enough, the canon may have more options (although the casio is not lacking manual adjustment), the point and click facilities of the casio are far superior in my opinion. I literally took it out of the box, put in batteries, took pics without adjusting anything apart from the resolution and was very impressed. As long as you so not expect 14mp results then it is a brilliant buy. 1 second startup, NO lag between pics and excelent focussing (in dark situations it cannot auto focus because no focus assist lamp, but take the pic anyway and you will find the focus is spot on).

Hope that helps you somewhat.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:52 PM   #9

in detraction though... and there is only one thing.... at its highest resolution (2304x1712) anything out of focus tends to look a bit grainy....however, when printed on photo paper the problem disapears....
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:28 AM   #10

I purchased the Casio QV-R40 two weeks ago as my first digital camera. It was an on spot decision, as I originally was planning to go for the A70 or the DSC-P72/8, but the price of the camera and also the fact that it is a current model probably attracted me to this camera.

It depends on what you are planning to use the camera for, simple point-and-shoot functions are great, it's extremely easy to use and is quite compact - the dimensions are slightly larger than the Canon IXUS 400 (S400 in some countries), but the build is quite similar, sometimes I think that these two might have shared some design prints It seems to be quite solid in build, took it too the beach, no problems there, although with some friend's cameras the lens was scratched by sand.

The start up times seems to be on par, about 1 second, but shutter lag seems to be more than the specified 0.01 second, althought still acceptable. There's no continuous shooting mode either, I think time between shots is between 2-3 seconds.

Some of the best modes are useful while others are not -- I personally don't think that the pre-shot mode is particularly useful, one needs to have very steady hands to superimpose the backgrounds, and the two halves of the photos can't interact like that of the coupling shot leaving awkward photos.

I'm not sure if this is common to all digital cameras, but I've noticed that using the optical viewfinder and the LCD gives different pictures, regardless of whether optical zoom is used or not. The viewfinder tends to reduce the visible area, but actually there is more visible on the LCD (and hence the photo), so it's better to use the LCD at all times. Under very bright light the LCD becomes hard to use, but under normal outdoor conditions it's fine. It has a better screen than some/most cameras I've used, although it tends to get fingerprints quite frequently.

I'm a novice camera user, so I don't have much to compare this camera to. I've discovered that altering the auto settings can sometimes produced blurred pictures even if it says it's focused, e.g if you wish to take flash off because it's unnecessary, it may become blurry. I've found that photo quality varies from excellent to slightly grainy, irrespective of the resolution.

Another thing is I don't think that there is a way to change the exposure time for the camera... it's a preset best shot mode? I believe it's a nightshot or fireworks mode, not sure, but it's max 2 seconds, which isn't too long compared to others.

The histogram is helpful in seeing the saturation of the pixels which is helpful as well.

Overall it's a very good camera for it's price, very stylish and something you can wow your friends with If you want something of consistent quality photos you can go for something else, but keep in mind that the most similar product to this I think is the IXUS 400, which is considerably more expensive.
Quintessence is offline   Reply With Quote