Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:43 AM   #1

Okay, broke down and bought this camera, few annoyances. Big one is the lack of refocus once shooting movies in High-Speed. I though the "focus ring" would help, and the lens seems to retract from full zoom once previewing your pictures and returns back to a zoomed position when returning to camera mode. A bit of a delay when you want to shoot a quick one. I can live with this, the lack of refocus on the H/S video is a major downer, anyone know if it's possible to use the focus while shooting H/S movies or should I just beg for a firmware upgrade. Not to be entirely picky, but I wished they would have ramped up the bit rate for movies in all modes, I see backgrounds breathing when viewing my videos. I'm sure I have a few more things I don't like, it's a new camera. I'm actually hoping that some one finds a way to hack this firmware, like they did with the canon powershot series. Any tips, contributions about this camera would be fully appreciated. Thanks
Other than some of it's short comings, this is still a good camera for now.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:32 AM   #2

anyone????
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:06 PM   #3

any users here buy one. love to here any input
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:39 PM   #4

I haven't found the lack of changing focus or zoom during filming of high-speed videos to be a problem because of another limitation of the camera - it's really hard to track something that's moving while recording video in any mode.The large LCD screen is hard to see in daylight and the electronic viewfinder is also difficult to use - especially for me since I wear glasses.

So, I generally leave the camera on a tripod for high-speed recordings and don't try to move it.

You can read my review of the EX-F1 and find links to videos I've made with it at:

Using the Casio EX-F1 to Photograph Rocket Launches

-- Roger

jadebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:41 PM   #5

I found it is surprisingly easy to follow and track things on the LCD. easier than I thought. at least consistent ballistic objects (IE larger model rockets)

I was able to successfully track rockets at both 600 and 1200fps. (1200 gets REAL interesting) 600 is VERY doable. but only the larger more "consistent" acceleration rockets. too fast or too much acceleration and no go. jinking around the sky forget it its gone :-)

SO mount a non enlarging rifle scope to the hot shoe. use that to track things.

but without the live autofocus unless your infinity forget it.

One thing that my FH25 does that I can not seem to figure out how to do with my F1 that I REALLY REALLY want to do is MANUAL FOCUS so I can lock it to infinity.

shooting rockets is really hard with the F1 only because I have limited time from when I know what pad is going to launch next to when it actually fires off.

I have to AIM the camera at the rocket verify focus and get it going THEN reposition the camera once its recording.

but this takes time and if the focus is wrong got to start over.

ALSO when its over cast I want to EXPOSE for the sky NOT the ground otherwise once the rocket is in the sky it gets "bled out" by the over exposure.

but if I aim for sky the autofocus can go hinky on me.

SO is there anyway to do manual focus on the F1 ? IE so I can "set it to infinity" and forget it? (I am always more than 30ft away usually a couple hundred feet so it should always be infinity.)

I usually record with both units. the F1 going at 600fps (great for capturing CATO's !!!) caught TWO this past weekend. Amazing.

and I use the FH25 for its 120fps VGA mode which I love.

I wish they would make an F2 IE keep all the features the same just UP the resolution in all modes.

I WOULD KILL for an affordable 120fps 720p mode!! and a 720x480 600fps would be simply dreamy!!!!
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 9:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I found it is surprisingly easy to follow and track things on the LCD. easier than I thought. at least consistent ballistic objects (IE larger model rockets)

I was able to successfully track rockets at both 600 and 1200fps. (1200 gets REAL interesting) 600 is VERY doable. but only the larger more "consistent" acceleration rockets. too fast or too much acceleration and no go. jinking around the sky forget it its gone :-)

SO mount a non enlarging rifle scope to the hot shoe. use that to track things.

but without the live autofocus unless your infinity forget it.

One thing that my FH25 does that I can not seem to figure out how to do with my F1 that I REALLY REALLY want to do is MANUAL FOCUS so I can lock it to infinity.

shooting rockets is really hard with the F1 only because I have limited time from when I know what pad is going to launch next to when it actually fires off.

I have to AIM the camera at the rocket verify focus and get it going THEN reposition the camera once its recording.

but this takes time and if the focus is wrong got to start over.

ALSO when its over cast I want to EXPOSE for the sky NOT the ground otherwise once the rocket is in the sky it gets "bled out" by the over exposure.

but if I aim for sky the autofocus can go hinky on me.

SO is there anyway to do manual focus on the F1 ? IE so I can "set it to infinity" and forget it? (I am always more than 30ft away usually a couple hundred feet so it should always be infinity.)

I usually record with both units. the F1 going at 600fps (great for capturing CATO's !!!) caught TWO this past weekend. Amazing.

and I use the FH25 for its 120fps VGA mode which I love.

I wish they would make an F2 IE keep all the features the same just UP the resolution in all modes.

I WOULD KILL for an affordable 120fps 720p mode!! and a 720x480 600fps would be simply dreamy!!!!
----
There is no option to change focus once you hit record. Your stuck, this is where I can't figure out why Casio cannot fix this with FW. The lens has what seems to be a focus ring, but not.
As for 120fps @ 720p, you'd have to kill to get a camera that shoots hi-speed at the HD level. I think a camera like this would be only available at a professional level with a huge price tag. As for 600fps @ 480p I don't see why this is not possible now with the F1, just limit the time length when recording, so the processor does not top out and start dropping frames.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:51 AM   #7

My manual or autofocus is not really working on mine even in shooting stills.
There is another thread about this after firmware upgrade.
What do you think about yours.
Does your autofocus work as you expect it would on another standard camera?
bentkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 7:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentkent View Post
My manual or autofocus is not really working on mine even in shooting stills.
There is another thread about this after firmware upgrade.
What do you think about yours.
Does your autofocus work as you expect it would on another standard camera?
I find the AF to be POOR. (during video) Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to get focus lock on a subject in the sun and it's slow to focus. For Casio implying that this is good for sports, is a absurd lie.
Do you have a link to the FW upgrade. The last one I saw was pertaining to camera control through a PC. I'm a mac user so that's no good.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:29 AM   #9

Sounds like I have to find someone with a little inside info about this camera to find out if it is such a poor design or an optical adjustment.

The firmware is included in this download:
http://support.casio.com/download.ph...id=001&pid=573
bentkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:02 PM   #10

Yip that's the one I read some time ago. I was hoping that you found some FW hack instead.
BTW how do you like your camera?
Maybe it's just my camera with the issue of poor focus, but from what I read this is a common trait with the EX-F1