Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
srt

I was dumb enough to drop my EX-V8 and now it doesn't work. What are the chances it is repairable? I dropped it from about 3 feet onto pavement. I took it apart and there is no obvious (to me) physical damage inside or out other than a small dent in the case. When I turn it on, the little green light flashes and the lcd sort of flashes, but nothing more, no noises or anything. What are the chances it would be cost effective to repair? Anyone ever worked with Casio on a repair?
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:52 PM   #2

Commiserations, srt ....I don't think you're 'dumb' and many have dropped cameras, including myself.

You use the words 'dumb' and 'pavement' which I associate with both the USA and UK so I don't know where you are. The UK price of your camera is about £140 and would be significantly cheaper in the USA. From what I've read around the Internet, even a simple camera repair would be the best part of £100 and not much cheaper -- if at all -- in the USA so you have to weigh up if the camera is worth repairing. If you really like it, you COULD buy a similair model keeping the broken one for 'spares', but of course, I don't know your financial situation.You never know what comes up on EBay and only last week I was able to make a working camera out of two faulty ones I got for peanuts.

I don't think ANYONE could give you pointers as to what's gone wrong -- these digital cameras contain so many bits and pieces and any printed circuit board could have the minutest crack invisible to the naked eye.

I hope you're not cameraless for too long and very good luck with any choice you may make.

Regards, Almar.

Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:41 AM   #3

srt wrote:
Quote:
I was dumb enough to drop my EX-V8 and now it doesn't work. What are the chances it is repairable? I dropped it from about 3 feet onto pavement. I took it apart and there is no obvious (to me) physical damage inside or out other than a small dent in the case. When I turn it on, the little green light flashes and the lcd sort of flashes, but nothing more, no noises or anything. What are the chances it would be cost effective to repair? Anyone ever worked with Casio on a repair?
If you bought it on your credit card, check to see if it's covered under the purchase protection plan. If not, any repair is going to cost at least $75 USD or so. If your LCD is not cracked, there is a worthwhile salvage value on eBay, so your most economical option is to sell for parts/LCD.

Cost of identical replacement camera - salvage value is most likely to be less than having it fixed.

Another option is to purchase a functioning salvage unit with a cracked LCD and transplant your working LCD into it.

Whatever you do, don't send it in for repair.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote