Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:27 AM   #1

Default Exilim Z4 review now up

Steve's review of the Z4 is now up at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/ex-z4.html

Excellent review and glad to see nothing too negative - particularly as I've just bought it last week!!

Gareth
guitareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2003, 2:19 AM   #2
Administrator

For what it is - a tiny camera - it works quite well. The only thing I don't understand is Casio USA and the "U" models of the EX-Z4 and EX-S20 that don't have a movie mode. The only thing I can think of for doing that would have to be some weird licensing problem with the motion video or compression routines for sales in N. America.

Who knows? Too many lawyers in this world :twisted:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:40 AM   #3

I bought a Z4U recently and love it except I was told when I bought it that it had both AV out and a movie mode by the Radio Shack salesman. It has neither. I called Casio tech support and was told matter of factly (with no real concern) that there was no way to add these features and that was the way it was. I told him that they would be getting the camera back. I will wait till January and buy the Sony DSC-T1. Its ashame as I really like the camera but want a movie mode and Video out capabilities. The smallness of the camera is just right for me. Oh, well. I can't get over how some companies treat their customers. We consumers take what they dish out and wimply walk away. Well I for one won't anymore. If they don't live up to their hype , I'm giving it back. Thanks for letting me rant.
fuzfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:09 AM   #4

You could buy the european version of the Z4 which at least has the movie capture (up to 60 secs) although it also does not have video out socket. You can buy it from http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk

Gareth
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
I can't get over how some companies treat their customers.
Come on, you surely aren't seriously blaming Casio?! He said it "matter-of-factly" cos it is a FACT that the specification of the Z4U does not allow video capture or video out. He cant change that, and if you'd checked the spec on their site you'd have seen that. Do you expect him to just offer to modify the camera specially for you?

Surely your grievance is with Radio Shack who gave you innacurate information about the product they were selling you. I assume you are using that as grounds to return the camera to Radio Shack for a full refund.

I apprecaite you are understandably annoyed and are letting off steam here, but come on, what more could Casio be expected to say?
Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:55 PM   #6

I have no intention of arguing the point. I would only add that his attitude was not one that would encourage a customer to feel warm towards his company. I run a small business and I rely on repeat business. If I can not satisfy a customers request I will at least offer them the courtesy of being polite. My first question was put to the tech support person in a very polite way. I asked him what was the reason for not having a movie mode on the camera. His response was short and curt. That was my point. I also did look at many websites reviewing the Z4. Early on even the Casio site had the movie mode included ( pre production). I think the company didn't really try to point out that they left out the movie mode. That to me isn't playing nice with their customers. At the very least I would have liked an explanation of why Europeans get the feature and the US does not. At any rate I will go some where else for my camera needs. :!:
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:24 PM   #7
Administrator

None of the Exilims have video out feature - this is because Casio pioneered a direct-drive LCD in these cameras which does not require the video to be formatted before LCD display. Unfortunate but that's the way it is. If you have to have video out than look at the other small cameras like Pentax S4 or Minolta Xt.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 5:28 PM   #8

Default Z4 and no movie mode

Thanks Steve for your advice. I am currently considering the Pentax S4. However, I'm really liking the large 2" screen that the Z4 has. I am also considering waiting for the new Sony DSC-T1 to come out. Are there any other small cameras out there that would have the larger screens? Thanks for any help on this subject. George
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:26 AM   #9

I have found several vendors that are selling what they call a WORLD version of the Z4 w/movie. I may go that route. It supposed to have cradle that is US compatible and all warrentys and documentaion in English. What do ya think :?:
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:38 AM   #10

Hi

I'm looking at either the z4 or the pentax s4. What do you think?
what about the z3 and Optio s? is it better than the newer versions apart from having more pixels, does the newer models deliever more? :?:
Kelle is offline   Reply With Quote