Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Many Videos (high-speed and HD) Using the Casio EX-F1

I thought I'd make a quick post here for anyone who is wanting to see the quality of videos the Casio EX-F1 makes. I personally have fallen in love with camera/camcorder. I use it exclusively to shoot my photography web series for YouTube, and you'll see the many high-speed clips too. If you have any specific questions about the camera PM me or post here and I'll try to help out.

The clips are on my YouTube channel, almost 30.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:50 PM   #2

Personally I'm disappointed with my F1. I find that the AF is slow, low-light capture is poor, video and photos. Bit rate is too low for high-speed video's. (needs bit rate settings for all video types)
High-speed frame size to small, would like 640x480 at least (by changing frame rate or limiting record time to achieve 640x480)
EIS is terrible. Hardware change would be needed (next version of F1)
More control of aperture for video capture.
Maybe I'm asking too much for 1000$ camera, but that's a lot of money for most, so why not!
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:44 PM   #3

Frankly I think you have some valid comments, although I'm not as critical perhaps. For me, the selling point was the high-speed and HD video; although the high-speed is quite low res, I have to admit I'm a sucker for that feature.

If I had my say in improving the camera for the next iteration, it would be to add true 1080p HD (and along with that a higher bit-rate would likely be a necessity) and an active image stabilizer for video. On the tripod or monopod it's alright of course, but sometimes it would be nice to do hand held shots.

Control of shutter speed for video is an issue too, but I found a little work around when in bright sunlight that I saw on an HD forum, where the poster used an ND filter to squash the frame rate down to a more respectable 50 or 60 fps. In particular I use a Cokin ND8, and in a brief test this seemed to work.

Let us cross our fingers some of these improvements will be realized... and dare I say at a more relaxed cost.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:35 AM   #4

Unfortunately Casio seems to be the only company pushing the high-speed envelope at a consumer level. My hopes are that Canon and the others move in this direction. Personally I think Casio has given up on the F1 and are not willing to make tweaks on this camera. I occasionally check google for a hack. I'm hopeful that the CHDK team cracks open this puppy because there is so much potential. So now I wait
BTW the ND filter is a great idea. I'll go look into these filters. Do you have anymore bag of tricks for F1 please send them my way.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:23 PM   #5

I did find a lengthy conversation on a digital video forum and there seemed to be lots of interesting tid-bits of information shared, such as less noise when shooting video in BS-Portrait mode and when shooting HD the focal length is 45mm; I know that Raynox has a wide angle adapter that can help, here's a list of them: http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/pdf/CASIO_EX_F1.pdf

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd...mpressive.html
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6

Thanks I'll have a look into it