Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
...Sharpness is a different issue all together. In fact , it is my largest complaint to date. Occasionally you will get several nice sharp photos, but for the most part sharpening in PP is required.

Add to that the fact that you cannot zoom with anything except digital flash while filming, and the 10 minute video limit, and the entire package, although OK, is not stellar. So the FH-100 will be returned.

Sarah Joyce
I'm still looking for the "right" compact P&S. So far I've tried the Pana ZS3, ZS6 and the Ricoh CX2. I have the ZS7 in a sealed Amazon box (got it a few days ago taking advantage of the posted $50 coupon). However, the ZS6 carries the 2-year Costco warranty and since the two cameras are almost identical, I might just keep the ZS6. The FS6 wins at this time (well, two brands and three models do not give me a clear picture of the entire segment but none of the other brands/models strike as great super zoom in a compact body. Recently I've been reading a lot about the FH100 (never really considered Casio cameras). It seems like it has potential (too bad one can't zoom during movie recording...the biggest limitation of this model, IMO). As for sharpness, have you tried to change the in-camera sharpness setting? It may eliminate the need to PP. Flash seems work real well, exposing the image just right. PhotographyBlog pointed out noise as a huge problem, with significant amounts starting at ISO 200. The images you posted look OK but I'd be curious to see a 100% crop of them. From all the pictures I've seen on forums and reviews, the FH100 seems to have the tendency to over expose slightly but your shots look OK, specially the Seagull. Maybe the fog helped. I'm looking forward to seeing other images from it, Sarah (assuming you haven't returned it yet).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 PM   #32

No, I have not returned it yet, Tullio-

As I mentioned in the other thread, this camera has had a lot of "play" thanks to the DPReview Review of Travel Zoom cameras. However, I have not found it to be consistent at all. You might get a really nice shot, followed by one for the "circular file." I cannot recommend it to anyone at this time. I have had the best luck with the Samsung EX-1, which is really quite an amazing camera.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:16 AM   #33

That's too bad. I was hoping for some good news as I'm still trying to find the ideal compact super zoom camera. The ZS6 is decent but not great. IQ is better at 8 MP than at the full 12 MP but the details get smudged (perhaps I expect too much from these compact cameras but I can't help it. When I compare the ZS3/ZS6/CX2 images with the old Sony H1 (also a 12x zoom cam), the Sony beats them all hands down.

Tullio
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:47 AM   #34

Tullio-

The long and the short of it is that we will probably not ever again see the image quality that we saw from the 5mp H-1 and the 6mp H-2. Those cameras were unique and rare exceptions in the image quality races. Low ISO settings and less pixel density were their largest advantages.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:23 AM   #35

Well, during those days, there was no high ISO P&S. If I'm not mistaken, they only went up to ISO 400 (I don't have the camera handy to check) - perhaps 800 but I seriously doubt it was that high. Of course the whole package was much bigger due to the much larger lens so maybe it is really not a fair comparison.

Tullio
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:04 PM   #36

More experimentation with the FH-100 this morning. Here is an ISO 800 photo sample. In addition I moved in much closer to see if that made a difference. I believe it did make a difference.

Also thinking that the IS might not be the strongest, I used burst shooting and that seemed to improve things as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
More experimentation with the FH-100 this morning. Here is an ISO 800 photo sample. In addition I moved in much closer to see if that made a difference. I believe it did make a difference.

Also thinking that the IS might not be the strongest, I used burst shooting and that seemed to improve things as well.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Please thank your husband from all of us for always being a good and willing model for your test photos. Nice shot at ISO 800 by the way.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:15 PM   #38

Considering how many negative comments regarding image noise even at ISO 100 I've come across, this shot at ISO 800 looks pretty decent to me, with lots of details. I assume you did not do any PP to clean up the image, right? I wonder if this is one of those things where the reviewers feel that they must complain about noise just because everyone else is.

Tullio
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Considering how many negative comments regarding image noise even at ISO 100 I've come across, this shot at ISO 800 looks pretty decent to me, with lots of details. I assume you did not do any PP to clean up the image, right? I wonder if this is one of those things where the reviewers feel that they must complain about noise just because everyone else is.
Reviews that lower ratings for cameras due to low-light noise are always suspect for me. I almost didn't buy a Panasonic FZ50 because of dpreview's rating of excessive noise in low light images. I bought one at the high recommendation of a dpreview forum member. I love it! Sometimes I think reviews focus too much on technical tests rather than real world shooting. They complain about low light noise yet 95-98% of the sample photos that they include with their reviews are taken in bright sunlight.

As it turned out, the FZ50 takes wonderful indoor photos with and without flash. No, it doesn't have DSLR low-light high ISO quality but it's indoor images are very very acceptable. And with a FL50 external flash mounted using bounce flash the indoor pictures are fabulous. --- The FZ50 has become a classic bridge camera. That many users can't be wrong despite dpreview's poor low-light review rating for it.

$.02,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:50 PM   #40

Sky and Tullio-

Regarding the Casio FH-100, it looks like I have to play to its "strong points." As this photo proves it does well at the 35mm equivalent of around 70mm, but stay away from the 35mm equivalent of 200 to 240mm. I also think that using the Burst Mode also helped.

The seagull shot that was so sharp was also taken at the 35mm equivalent of about 100mm and using the Burst Mode. Also keep in mind no optical zoom in the HJD video and a 10minute limit on video.

Sarah Joyce