Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
... Sometimes I think reviews focus too much on technical tests rather than real world shooting. They complain about low light noise yet 95-98% of the sample photos that they include with their reviews are taken in bright sunlight....
I totally agree. I personally don't care too much for some reviewers as they tend to be biased toward certain brands. I find some of the English review sites to be much more accurate than dpreview and others.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:19 PM   #42

Sky and Tullio-

More experimentation with the FH-100 this evening, and I am finally getting much more consistent results. The built-in flash unit is pretty powerful. These two photo, taken at a Flash Range of 6 feet and were taken with the flash throttled back to -2.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 8, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:49 PM   #43

Those images look good. However, the distance between the camera and the subject was not that great. Most P&S will perform well with flash at close range.

Tullio
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Sky and Tullio-

More experimentation with the FH-100 this evening, and I am finally getting much more consistent results. The built-in flash unit is pretty powerful. These two photo, taken at a Flash Range of 6 feet and were taken with the flash throttled back to -2.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Didn't know that the FH100 had flash compensation capability. Is that unique to the FH100 or do other Sony BSI sensor cameras have it also?

The flash is pretty powerful for a small P&S considering the -2 flash compensation at 6 feet. Was the lens zoomed to frame the faces or are your images cropped? What was the aperture setting?

Thanks,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:07 AM   #45

Tullio and Sky-

While the distance between camera and subject was just 6 feet, to get the proper exposure, I had to reduce the flash output to -2. Yes, the images were cropped to frame the faces. The HX5 and FH-100 have Flash Compensation, the appearance of that feature seems to vary by manufacturer. both photos were taken at an aperture of F 5.0.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Tullio and Sky-

While the distance between camera and subject was just 6 feet, to get the proper exposure, I had to reduce the flash output to -2. Yes, the images were cropped to frame the faces. The HX5 and FH-100 have Flash Compensation, the appearance of that feature seems to vary by manufacturer. both photos were taken at an aperture of F 5.0.

Sarah Joyce
That is even more impressive with aperture of F5 and flash throttled to -2 . At the F100's largest aperature of F3.2 the flash should be even more effective allowing a low ISO value for less noise pickup. Then use cropping for a pseudo zoom.

Thanks,
Sky
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:29 PM   #47

If you had to reduce the flash output by -2, that means the camera was not able to automatically determine the correct strength of the flash based on FL. Yes, it's good that the flash seems to be stronger than others but at the same time, it's not good that you'll have to keep making adjustments to its output every time the FL changes.

Tullio
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:57 PM   #48

Sky & Tullio-

Here is another pair of photos. This time they are from the Fuji F-31fd. All data is in the title line. Not as much zoom as the FH-100, but an "oldie and a goodie."

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:22 PM   #49

Those good ol' cameras...IMO, these images look better than the FH100

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:40 AM   #50

Quote:
Sky & Tullio-

Here is another pair of photos. This time they are from the Fuji F-31fd. All data is in the title line. Not as much zoom as the FH-100, but an "oldie and a goodie."

Sarah Joyce
Now photos like those are what I want in a modern pocketable P&S. The F30 and F31 cameras are classics. Don't lose or drop yours.

My wife's Canon SD550 indoor photos look like the ones you posted from your F31. That's why I returned the two pocketable P&S cameras I recently bought. Their indoor picture quality left much to be desired. Just wish the SD550 had IS and at least 5x zoom.

I agree with Tullio that your F31 pics look better than the F100 pics. Much better in fact.

Thanks for sharing your F31 pics,
Sky