Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:03 AM   #51

Tullio & Sky-

I still have the Fuji F-10, F-20, F-30, and F-31. All remain fully operable. And yes, as long as HD video is not a priority for you, the older Fuji cameras do very well indeed with image quality. As we can easily all agree, the F-31 images beat out the Casio FH-100 rather handily.

Like Tullio, I find myself going back regularly to my older cameras that offer a few better features and greater image quality. Here is a photo from the F-30 yesterday 07/09, that might even be better than the F-31 shots.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:59 AM   #52

Since I was never interested in the Fuji brand until recently, I'm totally unfamiliar with their old models so I can't comment on them. However, Canon, Nikon, Sony and even Panasonic have produced excellent P&S in the past. New cameras can handle high ISO better (the ISO limitation is no longer 400), IBIS has become standard, LCDs are twice as big and much brighter and clearer, AF has significantly gone faster, the number of scene modes have at least tripled, body size got smaller...just to name a few improvements that have occurred over the years. But, the MP war affected IQ in a negative way due to the still small sensor sizes being used on most P&S, the EVF is gone (except on the super zoom models), features such as nightshot, IR capability, zebra pattern are nowhere to be seen. Some old cameras are classic and even with their limitations when compared against new models, they still perform very well.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:59 PM   #53

Sky and Tullio-

Here is another older camera that is a real performer as well. This photo is from the Sony H-2. The ISO now is at the opposite end of the scale, this is an ISO 80 photo. But, notice the sharpness and fine detail in the photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:39 PM   #54

OK, Sky-

This one is for you to help with your camera search. Take a look at this photo. It was taken at ISO 400, F 4.2 at 1/60th using existing light indoors. This camera also has a better than normal built-in flash unit and will fit smoothly into your wife's purse. By using the $10 discount coupon from their website, this camera is now on sale at Office Depot for... are you ready for this? S119.00!

The camera is the Kodak Z-915.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
OK, Sky-

This one is for you to help with your camera search. Take a look at this photo. It was taken at ISO 400, F 4.2 at 1/60th using existing light indoors. This camera also has a better than normal built-in flash unit and will fit smoothly into your wife's purse. By using the $10 discount coupon from their website, this camera is now on sale at Office Depot for... are you ready for this? S119.00!

The camera is the Kodak Z-915.

Sarah Joyce
Wow Sarah. That photo has terrific quality for ISO 400 at F4.2. And for $119.00! I see it on amazon for $119 also, with free shipping. To give lurkers a quick idea of the specs for the Z-915, here they are:

Kodak Z-915 Product Features
* 10-megapixel effective recording
* 10X optical zoom (5X digital/50X total zoom)
* Optical image stabilization
* 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 35-350mm
* Light Sensitivity: ISO 100, ISO 800, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO auto, ISO 64, ISO 1600
* Display Size: 2.50 inches
* Battery: Two AA (nimh)
* Dimensions: 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches

The Z915 looks to be too big for my wife's "party" purse though.
EDIT: Looking at the dimensions again, it might fit in her party purse. The form factor of the Z915 makes it look big without a person holding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Tullio & Sky-
I still have the Fuji F-10, F-20, F-30, and F-31. All remain fully operable.
NO WAY! You have both the F30 and F31? Do you know that a new F30 is currently selling on amazon right now for $819? Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin.

Thanks,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:17 PM   #56

It looks like you can make some serious money, Sarah!!!

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:28 PM   #57

The Z915 may be cheap but it has its share of limitations. The lens starts at 35mm, which is very narrow for indoors, small contained places and landscape. Video is also limited with no zoom capability during recording. No manual controls. Minimum shutter speed is 1/8 and max is only 1/1250, which is not fast enough for many photo situations. So, basically you get what you pay for.

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:08 PM   #58

But, Tullio-

We're discussing a $119 snapshot camera here. Sure, we would love to have a perfect world! If you pay $30 more, $149, for the Z-950 model, you get HD video with zooming, but no wide angle. That is about 1/2 the price of the Panasonic ZS6!

For folks that are value or price shoppers, it is a price opportunity.

Sarah Joyce

P.S. Your right, Tullio, I just might put my Fuji F-30 up on Amazon. It would pay for the Oly VF-2 view finder that I would like to have for my EPL1, and a few other "goodies."

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 10, 2010 at 7:12 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:15 PM   #59

Sky-

I just floated out the Z-915 idea as a possibility for you. I think so much of the Z-915's image quality, that I bought two of them when they were on sale for $99.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:11 PM   #60

Just a follow-up: Because things have gone quiet in this thread, I returned the Casio FH-100 today. I was right at the end of my 30 day trial period, thus I had to act.

Sarah Joyce