Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Just got an Exilim EX-Z40...which SD card should I get?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a big difference between the different brands of compact flash cards out there? Is any one brand recommended over the others?

Also, does size matter?

What I mean is, other than capacity, is there a difference between a 256, 512, or 1 gb card? (Do all exilims take all sizes?)

Thanks!

As soon as I get some more storage I'll try this bad boy out and let you know how it is. So far I'm happy with the image and movie quality.
outofline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Like was stated on pg 2 of my EX-Z40 review, it can take any size SD card. Right now the 512MB and especially the 1GB cards are somewhat higher priced, the best prices are for cards up to 256MB. The Lexar or new Sandisk Ultra cards are very fast.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:32 AM   #3

by the way, how are the pictures with the ex-z40? i'm in between that and the pentax s4i and I really can't decide.
guillermobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:11 PM   #4

It's hard for me to judge picture quality as I've never had a digital camera before... that being said I'm very happy with the results I've seen.

I put up some pictures I took here: http://www.headtrip.us/EXZ40/2004/apr.htm

I didn't upload all of the pictures because I was taking most of them in 2304x1728 (~1.26MB per pic), but later on I reduced the size to 640x480 (~110KB per pic).. what size do most people use?

I ended up getting a 256MB sandisk sd card... everythings working great!
outofline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 5:29 PM   #5

If you have a Best Buy in your neck of the woods, they have a PNY 512MB SD card on sale this week for $149. There is also a $30 mail in rebate which brings the cost down to $119 plus tax.
TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 6:13 PM   #6

Get a SimpleTech Pro X very fast! Ebuyer has 256MB for $51

JohnnyJT :-)

South Philly
johnnyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 3:43 AM   #7

Dear Steve,

reading your review of the Casio Exilim EX-Z40 I came about the question of using High Speed SD Cards with this camera model - a question which no one up to now seems to be able to answer...

You metioned in your article that you did your testing with a SanDisk 512MB Ultra II SD card - but:
Is the card reader interface of this model really capable of handling the higher transfer rate of such High Speed SD Cards? Are there really any noticeable (not only measureable) effects on the ordinary shot-to-shot interval (not serial shot, not video, not reading via USB 2.0 card reader)? Or is the real bottleneck in this case still the camera-processor-based handling of the captured image (i.e. compression)?

In short: Might I use a "normal" SD Card with this camera model as well?

Excuse me for asking this question off-forum but your last answer (Casio-Forum "Just got an Exilim EX-Z40...which SD card should I get?") only touched on that aspect...

Thanks for your help.

Jo

Steve's answer:

>The simple answer is no, the faster card does not speed up the camera or its ability to download via its USB interface. At best it can speed up the camera's burst capabilities as the card can write a burst sequence faster. We always tell what card we used for our timing tests so there's no confusion about it later.<
jrmuc is offline   Reply With Quote