Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 18, 2004, 11:12 PM   #1

I recently purchased the EX-P600 and have read in a couple of reviews of the camerathat it's possible to access the "Service Menu" through a combination of button presses that allows the user to change various settings, one of which allows the use of RAW files. From a review of the EX-P600 at cnet Asia at

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digitalcameras/0,39005881,39018323p,00.htm

you'll find the following information:

"Officially, the EX-P600 supports only TIFF (uncompressed) and JPEG image formats in three compression settings. The resulting 6-megapixel TIFF images are on average about 14MB in size while unofficial RAW files come in substantially less at 9MB. The large savings in storage space will allow users to take about 30 percent more images. "

Does anyone know what the 'combination of button presses' is that will permit access to this menu? You can see what the actual "Service Menu" (Служебное меню) looks like if you scroll one-fourththe way down the page at another review at the Russian site:

http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/casiop600.shtml

Grazie mille,

Cosmo

Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:26 PM   #2

1. Power off camera [/*]
  2. While pressing MENU and DISP buttons simultaneously, turn the camera on. It should display black and white info screen. [/*]
  3. Release all buttons. [/*]
  4. Press Right (>on the joystick TWO or more times. [/*]
  5. Press MENU button. [/*]
  6. On the menu that appears you'll see an IMAGE FLAG option - arrow down and choose that [/*]
  7. There are 2 options in the IMAGE FLAG menu: [/*]
    1. BAYER MODE (on, off) - this records raw files [/*]
    2. C. M. READ (on, off) - ??
    Choose the first
[/*]
When BAYER MODE is on, camera captures a full-size raw image in addition to whatever image format (TIF, JPG) you have set.

The camera stores raw images in the same folder as JPEGs and gives unique file names which are derived from corresponding JPEG files, like this: CIMG0075.JPG --> 0075CIMG.RAW.

RAW mode has to be enabled through service menu each time you power on the camera
InFiNiTeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 9:31 PM   #3

That is great. Do we have any software to work with those images.
alexasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 7:37 AM   #4

i wish there's program to view casio's RAW. badnews in adobe.. it just doesn't work for this model
wizardboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:54 PM   #5

There has got to be a program. Anybody out there know? I just tried it, and it does create the file, but I can't find anything to open it with.
ssddyakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6

Try this URL

http://www.inweb.ch/foto/rawformat.html#background

you will find inform abouth Casio raw format files and how to Converting a raw format photo into an image..... :G

Ivar
ivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:20 PM   #7

What is the benefit of using RAW images, besides them using 30% less space?:?
abarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:39 AM   #8

I suppose if there is a large difference between raw & tiff then I could see doing this however as long as the camera is going to capture both a raw & a default format it's actually using more space unless you constantly are deleting the corresponding jpg or tiff.

DanTanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:15 PM   #9

Will this work for the EX-P700 as well?

Dan, shouldn't we be able to specify the amount of jpeg compression, thereby reducing the jpeg file size significantly and still allowing this technique to save space.

I haven't worked with them yet myself, but my understanding is that RAW format will allow fine tuning of all of the parameters controlled by the image processor that converts the files to jpeg or tiff format. White balance is the only parameter I can think of off the bat.

-Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:03 AM   #10

abarry wrote:
Quote:
What is the benefit of using RAW images, besides them using 30% less space?:?
As I have always understood it, the RAW data is an exact data image of what the CCD captured. The TIFF (or jpg) image will have in itany camera modifications (sharpening, contrast, anything else fromthe menus). These modifications will be impossible to undo later, and throw away information that was in the original. You'll be able to do anything you like to the RAW data, knowing you haven't thrown anything away.

If you have adequate, competent software, you'll be able to treat the RAW data to get the best possible image. However, this may take a *lot* of twiddling time. I speak as someone who got into digital photography via a filmscanner. I take just as long to get a satisfactory image on my computer screen as it used to take me in the darkroom in the olden days.

If you're in a hurry, store good quality jpg files.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote