Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:55 AM   #1

I want to buy a digital camera and after many searches, I`m hesitating between 2 : Casio Exilim Z40 and the Olympus Camedia C-60 zoom. Besides the fact that the last one has 2 Mgp more, I can`t decide myself. I take a special attention to the zoom but most important I want to be able to take action shoots or at least not to wait 5 seconds until being able to take the next picture.

Also, does thescreen resolutionin the LCD panel matters really ? (84 960 pixels for Casio and 134 000 for Olympus)

Any other camera recommendation definetly welcomed !

Txs

Chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:53 PM   #2

I bought a C50 a couple of years or so ago when it was first released. I would have preferred the Minolta G500 or Pentax 550/555 had they been available. The Pentax is the same size and has a 5X zoom range and the Minolta is a tad smaller with the same features and less expensive.

But they have made some improvements on the C60 that are impressive. The shutter lag and cycle times are very fast:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C60/C60A7.HTM It isn't as fast as a DSLR but it is faster than just about anything else in shutter lag. With the shutter lag about a quarter of the shutter lag of the Pentax 555 and a third the time of the G500 I would re-evaluate the C60 if I were buying something today.

They also improved the LCD – which really needed improving. It is now transreflective so you can see it in bright sunlight and larger. I doubt my eyes would see much difference in the resolutions unless I used reading glasses, and I try very hard to get through life without those. If you have good near vision you would see the difference. I would look at them in a store.

The flash range might not look great on the C60, but that is real honesty in advertising giving the range at ISO 64. 10 feet at ISO 64 is impressive for a small camera. If they don't give the ISO with the flash range it is usually at ISO 200 (auto).

Minolta has also upgraded the G500 to a G600. I haven't seen a review. I would be surprised if they matched the C60 shutter lag, and the C60 is currently selling for less online. They didn't upgrade the LCD or flash. I would choose the C60 over the G500 I think. It appears they just put a bigger sensor in a G500 to get the G600, but Oly made some good improvements in the C60.

I think the C60 is a bit of a load in a pocket. I carry C50 everywhere in a small belt pouch. It is easier to get at in the pouch and it has a small pocket in the front for the remote and spare battery. The battery will fill a 256Mb card but I was ordering a Panasonic battery from Eagle and they had a spare for the Oly for $10. It is convenient to always have a charged spare and it seems to work very well. You might consider getting one if you get the C60:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleimports/li-10b.html

I'm not a big fan of xD cards. They will likely never be used in anything but Oly and Fuji equipment. SD has taken over the small memory market for other brands and for MP3 players, PDAs etc. xD is pricey compared to SD.

The Z40 is a truly pocketable camera. The Pentax S4i uses the same Pentax lens as the Casio and is smaller and lighter. There isn't much to choose between them for features and speed. The S4i will fit in an Altoids tin, which is a good way to carry it if you put it in your pocket. The S4i has a 1.8" LCD where the Z40 is 2". The Pentax is selling for a little less and would be my choice of the two.

One thing I don't like about the Pentax is that it has no manual exposure mode. The Z40 doesn't either. I often grab 2 panorama shots with the camera held vertically to make an approximately 28mm shot. I also end up with about 8.5 Mp. The Pentax doesn't fix the exposure with the first pano like the Oly does, and without manual exposure you need software that takes a long time to stitch with more overlap to even out the exposures. The Oly plus the included Camedia software works well for panoramas.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:52 AM   #3

Thank you for answering so fast ...

I get big headaches trying to find the best ... but the best doesnt` exist ...

I really love the casio but the low shutter makes me get back on that camera :-( Action shoots are , to me, really important !)

Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:02 AM   #4

The Casio isn't slow. Steve doesn't do the kind of timing tests that Dave does but he says 0.2 seconds for pre-focus which is slow and 0.5 seconds for full AF which is very fast. Steve doesn't seem to bother much with shutter lag so we don't know how much it changes with zoom, but 0.5 is fast whatever zoom is set. Unfortunately Dave hasn't tested the camera so we can't get a comprehensive timing table.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:23 PM   #5

Yes, that`s exactly whatI think ... So today i just went to 4 stores to find the cameras and test by myself.. it`s still the better way. I tried a sony cybershot P100, of course with less megapixels, but it was not bad at all... Tonight I will test the exilim ( the battery in the only store I found having the camera was down) and check ...

Anyway, thank youvery much for your advices.:-)